We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

Would like to do a leisurely tour of the Amalfi coast--maybe start in Sorrento for a few days and then spend time visiting the coastal towns and Capri. We have used rail to travel independently in the Uk, France and Belgium, but are thinking maybe this trip needs to be handled by a tour company. Most of the tours seem to be day tours of the coast. Any suggestions? Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
792 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

You can easily visit the Amalfi coast without using a tour company, and I would recommend it, especially if you want a leisurely vacation. We went there for the first time in September, staying six days in Positano (beautiful, loved it there!). There are many options for getting there and getting around. We hired a private car service to take us from Rome to Positano (but there are other, less expensive ways), then used ferries for day trips to Capri and Amalfi. I would suggest that you go on the Italy forum and search under Amalfi Coast or post a question there. There are many experts who have traveled to the Amalfi Coast on their own many times and they have great advice.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,855 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

I agree with Molly. If you are in Sorrento then you get the ferry from the harbour to Capri.

On the Sorrento forums is the suggestion to take the bus to Amalfi one way and the ferry back. Then you see the wonderful coast from both sides. That's on my to do list next time.

The Sorrento forum can give you more about the other towns you might like to see like Positano

Trains are cheap and go most places you are likely to want to go. Sorrento is only small, a bus to one of the other smaller non tourist towns is relaxing. E1. There are lots of day tours advertised there but beware that they are likely to be E70 when it's less than E10 by train or bus. It's a very easy place to visit, enough English is spoken and they are used to tourists.

If you can fly into Naples there is a comfortable coach that travels to Sorrento for E10 and stops at lots of locations to drop people off. There's a train from Rome.

Ask for more details of both tours and diy on the Sorrento Forum. They are very helpful.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
3. Re: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I will explore the sites mentioned in both posts. Thanks

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,855 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

Canadatraveller, reading again this morning I remember being told the same thing before I visited. It seemed intimidating dealing with the travel myself but I booked flights, transfers and an hotel with a company and then began to explore myself when there after getting a lot of info on the forums.

I found it very easy once there and was looking for day tours but couldn't believe the prices were so high.

Capri if you do it yourself is easy. You can tailor it to what you wish. The usual expensive shops will be easy to find but there are also some lovely walks, sea trip or beach if you look with directions or maps. It's only a small island.

The same applies to Amalfi. Pretty little place but the tourist areas small. It's the journey that is amazing. The bus stops near the sea where the ferry leaves from.

If you take a guided tour of the area you are pretty much doing the same thing but in a bit more comfort on a coach rather than a bus.

Avoid trying to get a bus at lunchtime though. School children and workers pile in to get home for lunch.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,956 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?

When are you going? and how many days do you have?

We did this in October and based ourselves in Sorrento for a week. It was wonderful, not peak season so driving was not an issue, parking was a challenge in some places. It allowed us to visit small towns and coves along the coast at our own pace. Some of the coves were especially nice with small tratorias and tiny beaches just veging and people watching which could not be done on a tour.

I would not do it in July, August, or early September.

We did a ferry day trip to Capri and drove to Pompeii also.

Reply to: Amalfi coast travel suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions