We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

We are retired, United States senior citizens on Medicare. What would be a good medical insurance for health & accident while we are traveling abroad. (We are renting a car for a portion of the trip but medical for us is not included and we would need it anyway for days not renting a car.) We are going to Europe for 15 days in May, 2018.

Thanks for any advice you can give us.

10 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Suggest that you first search this forum as this subject has come up several times before.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

First, check to see if your Medicare Supplement/MediGap policy covers internationally. Mine does, and I think I have either C or F.

Second, go to Insuremytrip.com, put in your particulars and they will generate a list from which you can compare. Different states have different rules regarding coverage. After you have some companies, do some google searches to check for reviews.

On this page about halfway down is another thread on insurance as well.

No one will be able to tell you which one is the *best* for your situation.

Have an excellent trip!

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com are good places to search and COMPARE. You will find that if you remove the trip cancellation, lost baggage, etc. portions of the coverage and focus on medical/dental, the prices will drop significantly. Consider carefully, though, whether you want to do that.

Key point: to get "Cancel for any reason" and/or "Pre-existing condition" coverage, be sure to book insurance within 2 weeks of booking flights.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,477 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

I have used Insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. May I suggest you make a list of any & all pre-existing conditions you have before contacting the companies, no matter how insignificant you think something is. add it to your list, as you certainly do not want to be rejected when you need the insurance coverage due to omitting a condition.

Edited: 24 December 2017, 20:03
Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

I made the following entry on another post. We have Medicare but were not covered on our trip to Italy.

We used Travel Guard ( three different trips). On our second trip we had to use the Insurance and were "Very Satisfied" with support.

Previous entry

Jan 01, 2018, 11:47 AM

We have used Travelguard for a number of years. Two years ago we had an accident in Florence ( second leg of our Italy Trip) and had to be evacuated back to the US . TravelGuard Assistance ( in this case) was excellent. They made the complete travel reservations ( including Taxis on both ends and interim transport at an Airport in Germany)..The following year we again chose Travelguard.

Redding
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Thank you for your helpful tips to find travel insurance. In my situation, I do not need much of healthcare or dental care, although you never know what's going to happen. I found the Travel Protection Plan too expensive (12% of total travel cost) and also they do not have good reviews regarding their ways to handle refunds.

I plan to take a trip to Eastern Europe June this year and would appreciate very much for tips to protect mishaps during this trip at a reasonable cost. I will travel solo this time using a new company that I got a lot of good feedback from personal acquaintances. However, I certainly feel both excited and apprehensive.

Lovetotravel

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Kate N

I don't know where Redding is. If your country is within the European Union, then you will have access to all other member states' health care as local people do. You will need an EHIC. If you are from elsewhere, do reconsider getting medical care and above all, repatriation cover. You may be fit but crossing the road comes with risks as does life generally.

And I would get cancellation insurance as you may develop problems or the company might go bust. For the latter, you can probably get your money back through your credit card company though.

If you wonder whether proper travel insurance is worth the expense, read your local paper for stories of people who thought they could save a little money.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

I use https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

Thank you to everyone who responded. We purchased GeoBlue Voyager Choice. Wanted pre-existing conditions covered. Since we are planning our trip Ourselves and started months ago, we didn't have many options for medical insurance. Hopefully, we wont need it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?

I posted separately, but am poaching a bit here. I'm trying to find medical/travel insurance for INSIDE the US. My privately paid plan only has coverage in the 19 counties in WI that they have a contract with. You'll see all the details in my other post, If you have suggestions, I welcome them. I have already investigated Insure my Trip and Square mouth, but I'm wondering how reliable these companies are. I'll keep reading more threads.

Reply to: Medical Insurance for traveling U.S. senior citizens?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted