We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco

1 post
Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

Hi! I will be relocating to the Bay area, and I am driving from south florida to get there. I want to be able to take a route that offers some nice visits of cities or nature. I have already visited California many times, so maybe not necessary to arrive to the state so far south. I can take at most 6 days for the trip. Please if anyone has any recommendations that might be useful I would appreciate it :)

5 replies to this topic
Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
91 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

There have been some previous threads with route suggestions:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k14063663-East_coast_to_West_coast_in_4_weeks-Road_Trips.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k14055075-X_Country_in_35_foot_5th_wheel_from_So_Cal_to_Central_FL-Road_Trips.html

Anyway, a couple of thoughts to get you started with your planning.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
127,442 posts
8,662 reviews
4,166 helpful votes
2. Re: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

You will be driving 2600 miles - in six days that is 650 miles driving each day. if you drive the speed limit of 60 to 65 that is 10 - 12 hours driving each day. You don't have time for nice visits to cities or outdoor areas - get out a map. Plan how far 650 miles will take you each day and publish the towns you will stop at I would probably look at I40/route 66 across to I-5 and take I-5 from LA to San Francisco.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
53 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

As Mimi suggested, the milage/time calculation is not in your favor... Particularly if wanting to look around. I did the drive from SF to Ft Lauderdale some years ago, moving an extra daugher... that was 6 days,

1 - SF to Tuscon

2- Tuscon to Marfa Tx

3 - Marfa to San Antonio

4 - San Antonio to Lafayette

5- Lafayette to New Orleans

6- New Orleans to Ft Lauderdale.

The drive was I-5 south to Bakersfield then 158 towards Barstow dropping throug San Bernadino to I- 10 then generally following I-10 until dropping south in Florida... We had 3 drivers... and did several days of a full 12 hours on the road, at times above the speed limit... We were driving a car without trailer... the stop in Lafayette could have been dropped.

Alternatly, depending on what roads you have previously driven, head towards I-40 from Florida... then I-40 west to Barstow, to 158 to Bakersfield then find I-5 north...

If trying that route, maybe

1-Florida to Alabama (Burmingham?, maybe only Mobile)

2- to Little Rock or Ft Smith

3- Amarillo or Tucumcari

4-Winslow or Flagstaff

5- Bakersfield

6- shorter day to SF

On this route you might steal time for Petrified Forrest before Winslow and or Grand Canyon from Flag...

Remember Goolge maps times don't include stops for gas, restrooms or food (even drive through) and allow at least 20% beyond.

You haven't said when, but we are nearing peak hurricane season... which even in the absensse of hurricanes brings really heavy tropical rain along Hwy 10...

Randy

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

It will take you 6 full days just to do this drive without much time to see stuff. Even worse if youare driving a uhaul or pulling a trailer.

If you go 10 as primary route

Day 1 to Tallahassee

Day 2 to Lafayette, la

Day 3 to kerrville, Tx

Day 4 to deming, nm

Day 5 to Barstow

Day 6 to SF

An alternate way

Day 1 to southern, GA

Day 2 to Paducah, ky

Day 3 to Topeka, kc

Day 4 to Laramie, wy

Day 5 to wendover, nv

Day 6 to SF

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
10 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Save

You don't have time for scenery. You only have time to drive and stop for gas, food, restroom, and for the night.

Reply to: Road trip from South Florida to San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.