We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul

Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

Hello! Our military family is making a PCS move to Colorado Springs from Sunnyvale, CA in mid-April. I would greatly appreciate guidance on the best route with a 15ft Uhaul in mid-April. Google maps is showing two routes: I-80/I-25 or I-5/ I-15/I-70. I am not sure which route would be safest overall. I've heard Tahoe can get snow in April, cross winds in Wyoming can be a problem and the ski resort areas on I-70 can be tough.

My husband will be driving the Uhaul and I will be driving a sedan with a 1.5 year old. We will have all our belongings with us so suggestions on safe areas to stay overnight would also be appreciated! Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18,052 posts
70 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

I'd wait until a couple days before departure and check the forecasts. Anything further out is useless. Another option is I-5 down to I-40 and east to I-25 in Albuquerque, then north to the Springs. I-70 in Colorado also has strict chain and tire laws which must be followed during that time frame.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tractionlaw

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

The weather at that time…

You can still get high elevation snow over mountain passes along 80 and 70.

Your routes are

80-25

US 50 then 70. You can go 70 then head back south to 50 to avoid Eisenhower tunnel area

Head south to 40 via 5/58 then 25 north. Even on 40..elevation is 6000+ ft fir flat surfaces can get winter weather then.

You will have to wait and see what the weather is looking like and be flexible in changing plans.

With a trailer you can drive like you normally do.

If you drive 80. Wendover is to far to do. 10 hrs wheels turning+ time change. Winnemucca might be a place to stop. It’s abou 6.5 hrs. Therr is not much of stopping points between the two places. On day 2 staying Evanston, wy right off 80. Rock springs is the next town 2 hrs east.

Going US 50… it has a bunch of small toeowns with limited lodging. Eureka is about 8 hrs. If you go that way, night 2 in grand junction.

If you go southern route…

Day 1 to Barstow

Day 2 to Gallup, nm

Day 3 to Colorado Springs

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
53 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

Considering it is April… You can go north on I-80, but on that route have to cross the Sierra, and deal with winds across Wyoming… it is all interstate and while snow can be a problem there are really good service…

Alternatly you can cross the Sierra then take Hwy 50 across Nevada to I-70 which reaches 11,000’… This is the most direct, but also the highest and along much of the way somewhat remote…

The two routes above are both over 1,300 miles and 20+ “Google hours”. Google drive times are wheels turning at near speed limit with no allowance for stops for gas, food or “rest”, so with a Uhaul, you won’t make near the speed limit, plus stops you would need to allow an extra 25%...

The non-Google alternative would be south via I-5 to Bakersfield, then take Hwy 58 east to Barstow, then I-40 to I-25 in Albuquerque… This route can get snow, but is lower at 7,000’ at Flagstaff, and is less likely to be impacted… per Google it is over 1,400 miles and 21 hours… (plus 25%)

In any event, 4 days at 6 hours plus a day…

Randy Hees

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
11,797 posts
262 reviews
188 helpful votes
4. Re: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

April is the snowiest month in CO and I-70 has some tough driving for a U-Haul in even the best of weather. Also spring can bring on some blizzards in WY so I would not do I-80. Go south, imho. But do watch the weather for tornado watches and warnings.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
10 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Save

As others have said, watch the weather and decide based on that. But I'd go 580 E to 5 S to 58 E to 15 N to 40 E to 25 N and skip the high mountains.

Reply to: Road Trip Sunnyvale, CA to Colorado Springs - PCS with Uhaul
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.