We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?

3 posts
Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

Does anyone have any suggestions of a road trip planning website or app that would help you find interesting places along a route? I have no problem figuring out a route but would like to be able to stop and see interesting places rather then just pit stops.

13 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,280 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

Their are websites that detail various routes like one for US 50 which goes from ocean city, md to SAcramento, ca.

What interests you might not interest me.. if you have certain interests you need to mention them.

On other forums here you can post on the local forums for area advice.

USA
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
248 reviews
472 helpful votes
2. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum, Susan.

Roadside America tends to accent the quirky attractions. https://www.roadsideamerica.com/ I use their website, know nothing about their iPhone/iPad app.

I check out TripAdvisor's top rated attractions for states I am visiting to see if anything appeals (sometimes nothing does). Here is the list for Missouri, for example: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g28946-Activities-a_allAttractions.true-Missouri.html

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

This tool helps you find attractions within so many miles or hours north, south, east or west of any location:

https://withinhours.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
496 reviews
128 helpful votes
4. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

I am a member of AAA. They had tour guides for each state that lists attractions. In the front were the "GEM" attractions for each state, their idea of the handful of top things to visit which i found pretty on-point. Now AAA no longer publishes the tour guides in print form, it's all online. I assume the same info is all there, tho I've not had occasion to use it yet and don't know how user-friendly it is.

Edited: 03 July 2022, 20:12
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
281 reviews
289 helpful votes
5. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

Add Google Earth Pro(free) after looking at the Google "maps" on their Chrome browser to the websites above. Its all I use for planning.

Each state has a tourism website which will also help locate local attractions, but a paper road map from a state usually shows more sites to visit in small red letters on the map itself - email some requests for the paper map to the tourism office or BMV of the states you need.

Emjoy.

USA
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
248 reviews
472 helpful votes
6. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

You can search for attractions along a Google maps route. The map display on smart phones an laptops has buttons to search the route for restaurants, gas, etc. Use the 'more' button to find what you are looking for.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
782 posts
7. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

there is no easy/single app for doing that - i keep looking )-: web browsers are usually better or have more info then you will find in the apps including the TA app which I never use.

I use the tourism web page for each state or province

from there I learn the regional names then look of a regional/county tourism webpage if they exist, if not I look at the local cities and towns for more detail.

then once I have found a few things and I need to connect the local dots I use TA local forums as the locals often have the "non marketing" info unlike the tourism sites where they are all about marketing a region.

for google maps using xxxx near xxxlocation will show some stuff but not all, then there are tiny dots on the map you can see when you zoom in for stuff that google does not get add money for.

Level Contributor
1,628 posts
24 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

I second the AAA thing. Like the previous poster, I haven't had the opportunity to use the online version, but the old-school books were very helpful. I just picked one up for whatever area(s) we were visiting. The books used to comment on how much time to allow at an attraction, too. I still enjoy the great hotel discounts I get with them. No, I don't work for AAA. :)

I live in a smallish town, but our local library has similar books in the travel section for various areas of the country. I've checked them out, taken notes and returned them. Again, old-school, but free.

Edited: 04 July 2022, 02:04
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
1,581 reviews
549 helpful votes
9. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

AAA Triptk is helpful for roadtrips.

https://triptik.aaa.com/home/

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
782 posts
10. Re: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Save

I tried Triptik again to see if it had improved. It is still not worth switching from google maps as you still have to do some of the homework

It is just an overlay using google maps for data - telltale sign is the yellowstickman for streetview.

It can have more then 10 destinations - a good thing

you can not click on a location to make add it to the list

I check a few campgrounds - it did not list the one in a National Park that I have been to so will not give you a full list of what is around where you might want to go.

So better then last time I looked but still needs work if you know how to use all the tricks in google maps

and it asks for a aaa.com account to save your trips when I logged in with my CAA account.

Reply to: Road trip planning help / websites / apps ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.