We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracfone question.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
172 reviews
119 helpful votes
Tracfone question.
Save

Hi,

We're doing a road trip in the US later this year and I have a question about the Tracfone system that I can't find an answer to.

I have a Tracfone SIM for use on the T-Mobile network to which I will add their $40 package. This gives me calls, texts, 8GB of data and lasts a month.

My question is this - if I run through that data before the month is out, what are my options?

1. Can I top up the data and if so how much?

2. If not, presumably I can just buy another $40 package although that will change the phone number (which isn't a problem).

Basically how do I deal with the possibility that (with Whatsapp calls, TV etc) I may well need more than 40GB of data in a month.

10 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
1,581 reviews
549 helpful votes
1. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Cricket Wireless offers unlimited data for $55/month. I have used Cricket for road trips in US.

T-Mobile offers unlimited data $85/mo

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Edited: 02 July 2022, 17:54
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
782 posts
2. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

hi

first there is no data needed to run a sat-nav GPS app after having offline maps when you have wifi.

there is lots of free wifi so best to learn to turn the option to use wifi first and check if there are open connections available nearby when doing searches.

I have 7GB per month - I do not stream or use it for a hotspots and easily make it work for the month.

and there is a Travel Gadget forum that has info about SIM cards

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
172 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

BangkokSachse - thanks, I have looked at both of those, and for various reasons, I will start with Tracfone, but I may use T-Mobile if that doesn't work out. Cricket uses AT&T who's coverage isn't as good where we're going.

Cba Arch - thanks, I am aware of all that, but I may well be streaming and I will certainly use data for hotspoting as we will sometimes be in poor wi-fi areas and there are tablets and laptops to keep connected.

My question was specifically about Tracfone as I can't find an answer to my question.

Edited: 03 July 2022, 01:25
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
23,566 posts
118 reviews
73 helpful votes
4. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Wal-Mart sells the Tac-Phone cards. My MIL uses Trac phone and she doesnt make many calls so we always buy the cheapest. You pay for the amount of the card at the register then either go online or call the number to activate the card. The amount of minutes rolls over but the card expires. Even if using online do not wait until the plan expires, call or go online, or buy the card a couple weeks in advance.

So if using a larger amount of phone time buy a card with more minutes, write the expiration date in marker on the card so you don't forget. I know they have an online program too but being elderly my MIL does not want to use it. I think you can just add on minutes the existing phone number you should not need to get a new phone number.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
23,566 posts
118 reviews
73 helpful votes
5. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Sorry, reread your question, I am not sure what the highest amount of data their program has, I would call them and ask about the various programs they have. The largest plan I saw online was $199.00 for 365 days but only 12 GB of data.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
1,581 reviews
549 helpful votes
6. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Tracfone offers 1GB data for $10 Data for unlimited carryover with active service at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-10-Data-Only-Add-On-1GB-e-PIN-Top-Up-Email-Delivery/29749072

Edited: 03 July 2022, 09:27
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
172 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Thanks all, but my question is what happens if I go through my data allowance before the card runs out?

Can I top up data?

Do I just buy another card and set up another 1 month contract?

Thanks again.....

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
8. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

You do realise that some of the answers offered to you are directly from googling? YOu could have done that, yourself! This sort of question is best asked on the Travel gadgets and gear forum, not this one.

SWT

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
172 reviews
119 helpful votes
9. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

Thank you for that. Although, I have to say, common courtesy would have prevented me from offering such a patronising response to a fellow level 6 contributor, who has been on Tripadvisor for 15 years with several hundred posts to his credit. But, hey, it takes all sorts.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Tracfone question.
Save

I wasn't being patronising at all, just pointing out that if you want techie type info from a Tripadvisor forum, there are better forums than this one to seek that kind of help - and it's pretty obvious that at least one response was based on somebody else googling stuff. I refrained from doing similar.

But if you do want a patronising comment, level 6 means sweet FA on TA. You only need to be a member for a few weeks and post perhaps 35 posts, reviews, photos or whatever to reach that level, as a moment of research would also have revealed. It was created by TA to draw in the stupid influencers and those for whom levels, points, post count and such like matter.

SWT

Edited: 05 July 2022, 01:35
Reply to: Tracfone question.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.