We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card not accepted by car rental

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
26 helpful votes
Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

I rented a car in Sardinia through DoYouItaly earlier this month and had a really bad experience.

When I collected the car from the provider - Moventur, they refused my credit card as it was a newer card that doesn’t have the raised / embossed numbers on it. They said they don’t accept those type of cards.

This was not stated anywhere on the Ts and Cs - it just said it had to be a credit card in my name - which it was!

Anyway they said I could pay on my debit card (which did have the raised numbers), but only if I paid their full insurance fee. An extra €225. I had already paid insurance through DoYouItaly. This really felt like a scam!!

I have never had a problem using that credit card before.

I’ve complained to both DoYouItaly and Moventur- no response!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

14 replies to this topic
West Midlands...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, World Cup
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
1. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

No, not directly, but I have seen warnings on some Rentalcars dummy bookings that state that in Europe, one was for Europcar.

Edited: 13 June 2022, 03:00
West Midlands...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
2. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

Just had a look at Sardinia on Rcars and I’m seeing that warning on lots, including Alamo?

A thread from the Italy forum, Sicily, from a couple of years ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k12905954-Rental_Cars_and_Non_Embossed_Credit_Cards-Sicily.html

Edited: 13 June 2022, 03:07
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
10 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

Sounds like a great way to get their expensive insurance sold.

texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

We had trouble using our credit card in Spain a couple of times this spring. We had to have pin number to use it. Husband had secured a pin number prior to our travels but we didn't have the internet service to retrieve it.

I've decided I'm only booking directly with the airline or car rental in the future due to the third party issues.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

This is most interesting, as we are looking to rental a car in continental Europe soon. A bit of a googling around has pulled up several warning or comment type links about non embossed credit cards not being accepted, yet the fine print - if there is any - warning that the actual car rental company won't accept them is very hard to find, and even for somebody who tends to read the fine print, hard to spot. Most of the links my searches pulled up were single post rants/moans and little else of any use.

I've just checked our various credit and debit cards and all but one is now not embossed, including a debit card - so that would not have helped had I been in the OP's shoes.

Aside from the car rental issue, I do wonder what happens when the UK suffers it's next widespread power cut? I guess nobody will be able to buy a darn thing, as I remember shopping in a WH Smiths during a powercut once, and the staff dug out from a locker below the till the old manual slider type machines and a pack of multi layered slips.

Needing a PIN in Europe, BTW, is also going out, Jon - as contactless is becoming the norm for so many purchases, but you still need to enter a PIN for a transaction over a certain value. The other issue with purchases over a certain value is that banking systems are gradually moving towards requiring the card holder to have access to a phone signal so that they can either enter a one time passcode or send a confirmatory text to their bank that it's the cardholder using the card.

SWT

West Midlands...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
6. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

Hi SWT.

I too did a quick sweep and could not find anything on the majors websites.

I did find this buried on Maggiore’s website in the FAQ.

“The valid credit cards for access to rental are Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Diners.

These cards are recognisable because they have their numbers printed in relief.”

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
7. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

V - I did not look at Maggiore's website, just the majors. I have now done so. I just found this wording in a different part of their FAQs in regard to using a different card at pick up time:

>>> The credit card need not be the one you used to pre-pay, provided that it is a normal type of credit card (with the characters printed in relief) and is in the name of the person collecting the vehicle <<<

Well, all my credit cards are perfectly normal cards, so these companies are not keeping up and then causing issues for their customers - this of course is something for that behemoth EU consumer rights regulatory body to deal with, but I cannot see that happening any time soon. That Maggiore are at least consistent across their FAQs is little comfort.

Oh, and post 9 in this link in regard to Autoeurope and Avis in a more recent Italy forum on this topic is interesting:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k13623665-Does_Avis_really_require_an_embossed_credit_card_in_Sicily-Sicily.html

Meanwhile, I've bunged off an email to my bank, as it was they who sent us replacement credit cards just a couple of weeks ago to replace cards that hadn't reached expiry date, just seemingly to issue us with ones with spiffy new logo on sexy matt black non embossed cards, that now have that bite taken out of them at one end so blind users know which way to tap or insert non embossed cards (as explained by google, of course!).

Ho hum!

SWT

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
43 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

I always take 2 (or 3) credit cards on all international trips.

Berlin, Germany
2 posts
1 review
9. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

Moventur @ Olbia Airport

I had the same experience at the beginning of June: my credit card (without embossing) was not accepted and I had to buy expensive insurance. This is for sure a new business model :-(

Unfortunately I get no support from my credit card bank in this case (confirmation that it is a genuine CREDIT card and that sufficient credit was available)

Edited: 02 July 2022, 19:39
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Save

An update: I emailed my personal bank contact of the bank we used for most things, about this and was told nobody had every reported to them any issue with their credit cards arising from not being embossed, and they do not offer embossed cards, full stop. So, to avoid issues, don't bank with HSBC!

Our Amex and Halifax cards are also not embossed, so I guess I must remember to take our little used Coop Bank card when we next rent on the continent, if the next issue is still embossed - it expires in September!

SWT

Reply to: Credit card not accepted by car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.