We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Hi everyone,

I came across this website, "http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/" that sells really affordable train tickets, which seems too good to be true. May I know if anyone has experience, good or bad, with it?

Thank you.

187 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
141. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Because Eurostar is one of the few trains which actually do sell out frequently and you'll pay for the privilege of buying it on the day at the station.

For the TER trains in France it is perfectly doable to just buy at the station. For long distance trains its economically more viable to buy in advance...

But yes in general it is easier buying at the stations. Especially in countries where there is no advantage in purchasing tickets early such as Switzerland, Netherlands Belgium and regional trains in France and Italy.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,909 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
142. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

I'm a fan of buying at he station. Obviously it makes total sense when there's no financial saving to be had by buying ahead of time, but I also like the freedom of not being tied down to a specific service, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for that flexibility at times.

What I tend to do is compare the total cost of buying restricted tickets in advance with the total cost of walk up tickets. I'm not overly familiar with these journeys, so I'd be doing some dummy bookings on the SNCF site to see how the land lies, and make my decision based on what I see there.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
143. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Update: in 2016 trainline bought captain train so the link suggested now just takes one back to trainline.eu - good enough for me - I'm gonna go ahead and book.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
144. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

But only if you are going to a country that is covered by them

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
Save Reply
145. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Often for long distance trains it is enough to buy a few days in advance to get a discount. I travelled like that through Central Europe one summer. Spending a few days in Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava and Prague. First thing I did upon arriving somewhere was just head for the ticket office, and if there was no long queue just immediately buy my ticket for my next leg.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
146. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Hi Am going to Switzerland for a week what is the cheapest train tickets. Should I buy a 2 country euro pass as I am also traveling to Austria or buy individual tickets along the way.

Any advice would be most grateful

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
147. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

It is very unlikely that a Eurail pass will be worthwhile. The Swiss railway offers passes that may be worthwhile, depending on your plans.

Swiss tickets and passes: www.sbb.ch/en

Austrian tickets: www.oebb.at/en

Edited: 18 March 2018, 05:32
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
148. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

@CarmelJ as you are from Australia, you are probably misled by Australian travel agents, who have a tendency to steer their customers into buying expensive rail passes. Believe me, you are better off without it.

If your intentions are to travel to scenic areas such as Salzkammergut in Austria, the mode of transport is bus, for which the pass is not valid

Here is a previous thread about using a pass between Switzerland and Austria

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g19…

And here is a travel guide to Hallstaat prepared by Salzburg destination experts

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190441…

And another thread on combi tickets in Austria

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g19…

As sydneynick has posted, a Swiss pass may be worthwhile, but do your maths carefully

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
149. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

I needed train tickets for France for a little over three months from now ( for July/August) and I spent days and nights researching the best prices. I found some amazingly affordable non-refundable first class tickets and the times that were available were perfect - and I think I found them on trainline.eu. Then I spent a couple more days researching every option and joining train company websites and such. About three days after I found the amazing fares I was ready to buy the tickets but the prices I had seen were gone and prices had doubled even for non-first class tickets. So I then put a hold on a set of refundable tickets on the SNCF website (they are the actual train company owner) and I was planning to get my seven-year-old the Child Card + which is 75 euros (a year) and would allow myself and my husband to get 25% off and our two kids to get 50% off (and all we needed was the one card). I could buy the tickets at the special rate and then I just had to have the card by the time we travelled. They won't mail the kid card to the US so I was going to take care of it while we were in Paris. The total price of the tickets and the card were still about double the prices I had seen before but this time the tickets would all be changeable and refundable. At the very last moment before I paid for the tickets I decided to do a final trainline.eu app search and a couple of options popped up that were absolutely NOT showing on the sncf site even tho they were sncf tickets - I immediately bought the tickets and they were only a little more than I had originally found which was about $300 for a family of four to travel round trip from Paris to St. Raphael. in the South of France. So the moral of the story is check all the pricing but act fast - and I love trainline.eu! And I'm amazed that all the train tickets I have gotten for the trip - including Eurostar to go from London to Paris and even the Heathrow express train along with the trainline.eu tix are available digitally (in an app or the iphone wallet) and when we travel all I am going to have to do is show my phone!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
150. Re: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?

Thankyou everyone for your advise. Yes travel agent did advise to buy the euro passes, which are very expensive.I will look into all the sites you have advised. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to: The Train Line Europe - How reliable is it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted