We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

York, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
484 reviews
Save Topic
Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

I will be catching an ICE train from Liege to Frankfurt in a few days time. The Belgium railways website suggests that extra security checks are taking place and to allow extra time.

In practice, how long should I allow ?

My train departs at 09:13. Would a 09:00 arrival in Liege Guillemins suffice or would 08:45 be better. My hotel is directly opposite the station so I won’t have to travel far...

9 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,059 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

I understand that these checks are random and not the rigorous examinations that require you to be at your departure point 2 hours early if flying.

There will I am sure be someone along soon who has recently travelled.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

Just be there a few minutes before your train departs. It's getting silly with those so called security checks.

As long as there is no official statement from DB and it stays in vague terms such as allow extra time it's still DB problem to get you on the train in time.

Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

I agree with Lionheart...Yet for peace of mind I would be there at 08.45 h myself... I don't like having to 'rush' into a station I'm not familiar with :)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

"The Belgium railways website" would be BelgIAN Railways (adjective not noun, cf. French Railways, not France Railways) which says under "How early should I get to my station before the train departs?" (https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Questions/Journey), "Furthermore, non-systematic and non-permanent security checks will be introduced in the train stations of Brussels-Midi, Antwerp-Central and Liège-Guillemins for Thalys, TGV® and ICE passengers as from July 2017"

Note NON-SYSTEMATIC and NON-PERMANENT, in other words, it's a matter of occasional spot checks. As far as I know, the situation at Liège-Guillemins is the same as at Bruxelles-Midi where at the moment they are not bothering anyone at the high-speed (non-Eurostar) train platforms.

See also "How do the security checks in place for Thalys, TGV and ICE differ from the Eurostar check-in?" (https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Questions/Journey). They then proceed to confuse passport control with security but also say, "(ICE etc.) passengers are .. not subject to systematic identity checks when departing from Brussels, Liège or Antwerp, but may at any time be required to undergo security checks as from July 2017, depending on the recommendations of the security services."

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

I will as long as possible steadfastly refuse to plan in extra time for security theatre. It is a disgrace really that many people just accept this. I want to encourage everyone not to accept this.

In practice I have the impression that the announcement is more of a "let’s show we are doing something" kind. I have seen little evidence of these checks in Brussel Zuid for example. And there are none in Brussel Noord, where the ICE stops as well, underlining how pointless these checks are...

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

Security theatre is the term!

Checks random not all the time, and usually fairly simple. Just don't arrive with seconds to spare.

Mind you, it's no hardship to linger a moment to admire Liege's beautiful modern station, an incredible structure by celebrity Spanish architect (and IMHO genius) Santiago Calatrava.

York, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

Just got off the train - after travelling Liege-Frankfurt-Nuremberg.

A “metal box container” is positioned on the footbridge at Liege but it was locked. No security checks taking place today.

Liege Guillemins stations is an impressive piece of architecture but they forgot to put a door on - absolutely freezing stood on the platforms with a biting easterly wind.....

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

That ‘s Calatrava. Impressive architecture. But not necessarily good stations...

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege

LIke a lot of prize wining architecture - looks good but doesn't function that well! I remember going through the very impressive looking T4 at Madrid one wet day - with buckets all over the place to catch the drips from the roof.

Reply to: Security checks for ICE trains in Liege
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted