We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eurostar

Hi, I'm an American traveling from London to Paris on the Eurostar. I've never traveled on any sort of quote on quote International train and I have no idea how this works. My main problem is I'm not sure what I need to bring in terms of passport and tickets. Of course I know I need those two things but will I be needing anything extra besides that? Also how does the Eurostar Customs work? Will I just have to go through a normal security line and normal Customs on my way to and from London and Paris?

25 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar

Eurostar thinks they’re an airline. Book a ticket. Make sure you’re at the terminal half an hour before departure. Show ticket. Show passport. Board. Arrive in Paris. Detrain. Walk out of the station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar

“Of course I know I need those two things but will I be needing anything extra besides that?”

I take a magazine, a cup of coffee and a snack!

Bon voyage.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar

Here's the Eurostar website for you -- https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/?

And The Man in The Seat 61 is a great primer on UK and Continental European trains -- https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

4. Re: Eurostar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 23:19

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar

There is actually no customs between the UK and France...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar

Take your ticket and scan at barrier. Go through security and passport control. The security is like an airport in that you go through a walk through metal detector and your bags go through a big X-ray machine. But the restrictions are different/ Bring liquids. Any amount. Whatever. it's all so simple. Do note that you don't check your large bags. you take them with your right onto the train.

It's all quite civilized.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 11:56
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar

I don't find taking the Eurostar a great deal different to taking a flight, although the station is indeed a more civilsed experience as far as I'm concerned than any large airport is.

You will go through immigration prior to boarding the train, and you can just walk out of the station at your destination. Easy!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurostar

The big difference between Eurostar and a flight is that you don't check in any bags: everything is cabin baggage, so you put all of it through the x-ray machine and you also carry it on and off the train, where you store it in the rack at the end of the carriage or on the overhead rack.

But what COULD you possibly need for an international journey of any sort, other than your passport, your ticket, and whatever baggage you want to take with you?! Unless it's foreign currency.

Basically you have check-in, 2 sets of passport controls (Schengen exit, UK entry) and security before boarding so that nothing is needed on arrival at the other end (although I have known there to be spot checks by immigration officials). UK Customs - which concerns goods, not people - IS in fact present (for non-EU customs matters like drugs) at London St. Pancras, but they are unlikely to stop you for anything unless you happen to look like someone they may be interested in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurostar

We travelled return Paris to London as a day trip in August last year, non EU passports.

Have a pen handy that works, there was an immigration card to fill in before passport control in Paris and no pens.

There was quite a presence at the St Pancras Customs area as we walked out and a number of people were channelled to one side for a bag check.

Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurostar

Eurostar London-Paris with a European passport. St.Pancreas station: Your ticket will be accepted at the scanning station at departure time - 60 minutes. Everything longer and your ticket will not be accepted (as waiting lounge is on the limited side). Second check: Baggage scanning (standard x-ray, no limits on liquids, you will take all your luggage on board the train). Third check: Immigration.Standard Passport Control.

Waiting lounge: Capacity is on the limited side. Gate announcement about 30 minutes before departure, and gates open at 30 min. before departure. No ticket countercheck for the correct train. Please note that there could be 2 Eurostars leaving at nearly the same time, but on different platforms. Listen to announcements and signage.

Train and comfort. Travelled 2nd class. Seat comfort normal. Noise level normal for a (German-built) high-speed train. No ticket control on the train.

Arrival in Paris Gare du Nord. No Customs or Immigration checks. Proceed to RATP ticket counters (level -1) for getting the necessary transport tickets.

Edited: 19 March 2018, 01:30
Reply to: Eurostar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted