We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Just found out Amtrak removed their AAA discount and Student discount? anyone know why?

39 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

For those of you on this international forum who don't know, The Capitol Corridor is Amtrak California, a State of California offshoot of Amtrak. It is basically a medium distance State financed commuter service between San Jose and Auburn Calf.

Grasonville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

I just looked into NARP. The cost is very reasonable and could amount to some substantial savings for those that travel on Amtrak. Just a thought.

Pittsboro, North...
1 post
Save Reply
33. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

yes, I just noticed. Had gone to Amtrak and AAA back in February looking at fares for June travel and AAA showed a discount. Getting ready to purchase the fare for June travel and can't find anything concerning a discount. I have looked and looked saying to myself I know there was a discount. It wasn't that much but it was a little help. I am so disappointed to the fact we may just drive. Will have to discuss. I don't like air travel.

Edited: 18 March 2018, 01:09
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Kvetch, kvetch, kvetch. Either we complain that Amtrak isn't run like a business or we complain that Amtrak is run like a business. Get over it. Outside (i.e.AAA) discounts and age or student adjusted prices are not an entitlement. If you don't like it - drive or fly. The choice is yours. You have other options.

Edited: 18 March 2018, 04:11
Tampa
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

you bet!

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Yes, I noticed it too. I use Amtrak extensively in the NY-DC-Boston corridor and the removal of the AAA discount just isn't fair!

Charlotte, NC
1 post
Save Reply
37. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

I am very disappointed in Amtrak's decision. How ridiculous that a parent is allowed only one child fare. A child is still a child is still a child . . . .

1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Hi, you can go to counter and purchase them if in baltimore, md. don't know about other states.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?

Don't use the computer, call 1-800 USARAIL and talk to an agent. The computer is the bane of communication. It can't think.

Reply to: Amtrak anyone else notice no AAA discount, no student disc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted