We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccine passport

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
6 reviews
16 helpful votes
Vaccine passport
Save

It’s very difficult to find information about this online and I am wondering what having the vaccine passport makes easier about traveling. Will it mean I don’t have to quarantine? Do I not need to get tested? Does it get rid of mask rules?

I hope to go somewhere besides Boston this year(booked to go again end of July) but I have to be able to travel without having to quarantine because of my financial situation and I have to go without a mask because of a medical condition.

16 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
15,923 posts
93 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

No one can really answer your question . Every country has its own entry requirements. Right now here in Canada you Quarantine at the hotels even if you are fully vaxxed unless you are a Cdn citizen and you can go home. Rules are changing every few weeks or days even . Europe just opened to us. Best to keep checking govt websites. Here in Canada pulling the "I can't wear a mask doesn't work."

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

There doesn't seem to be such a thing right now although a few countries are letting in Brits with the NHS app, which shows your vaccines.

Germany and the UK are in talks about recognising the NHS app.

Ireland will be different still.

I have had both vaccines and have the NHS app.

When I return to the UK after having been in the USA 3 weeks, I will need a covid test not more than 3 days before I leave for the UK (as I did to come to the USA) , will need to book day 2 and day 8 test and will need to quarantine (at home ) for 10 days except that my professional organisation has been told I can leave quarantine for a particular part of my work.

But the Republic if Ireland is not the UK. The rules there may be entirely different and only the Irish government website will give you the proper information.

BTW, at the moment the US is not admitting those who have been in the UK or the EU at all unless they have a US passport.

Vaccinations don't make any difference for entry but in my hotels, signs have said you don't have to wear a mask in the hotel public places if you are vaccinated.

Unfortunately the anti-vaxxers tend to be anti-maskers so I suspect that not everyone I saw without a mask had been vaccinated.

All this is because the USA is on the UK amber list.

Edited: 03 July 2021, 04:35
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
35,731 posts
109 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

Here is a news article on how each of the US states is viewing "vaccine passports". The President has said the Federal Government is not considering a vaccine passport.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/which-states-have-banned-vaccine-passports#mass

I agree with Leagle about mask-wearing here in the US West. I just got back from 2.5 weeks in a National Park. There was very little masking inside venues except for employees. Signs on the doors stated that if you were fully vaccinated masks were not required but I am sure not all those unmasked were vaccinated. Outdoors, which is the main attraction, there was even less mask wearing including employees.

I have no idea what things are like on the East Coast as it's a very different demographic from the West and they may be more willing to continue to mask and to vaccinate. I was chatting with some other visitors in the park who were from Maryland and they were shocked at the lack of masking, indicating in their area most are still masking up for safety.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,338 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

Welcome to the new world.

the problems you are experience is the nature of how the world/governments is at this time.. Just like some people dont want to wear a mask and so forth, the various governments are made up of the same fractured people.

Also, in my opinion, the governments are still doing the fire fighting of trying to get a hold on the virus and vaccinations. if/when things settled down, they MAY choose/elect to work on any such things. will the economy, lost jobs, homelessness, be more important than a vaccine passport? If you happen to notice that most companies/governments/people are NOT PROACTIVE, but REACTIVE. So it will come down to a 'Monkey see - monkey do" and it will take a country/government or 2 or 3 of them to get their heads together and figure out any vaccine passport and the logistics. If it happens, and if others want to join that party, then you may see others want to join in.

So you may have to wait a while or just jump through the various and different hoops on where you want to travel until those in power figure things out.

good luck

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
41 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

The EU Cvid certificate is now in force with the EU. Check here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3a698-eu-digital-covid-certificate/

It allows you to travel within the EU without tests and quarantines if you are fully vaccinated, however face masks and other local rules and restrictions are up to each country. As far as I know, whole EU is still packed in face nappies. The only muzzle free country at the moment is Estonia. Perhaps, you can consider holidays in Estonia. It is a very nice country with lovely islands, countryside, great food.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

Far from the whole EU has mask requirements. In Sweden the national face mask recommendation (not even a requirement) was only in public transport during rush hours and has been removed (some regions may have their own recommendations). In Denmark, as far as I know, you only need a face mask when standing (and moving around I assume) in public transport, and only until September 1.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
41 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

You are right, Sweden has always been muzzle free. And so is Denmark!

It makes a great muzzle free Nordic trip with plenty to see and do: Sweden, Denmark, Estonia.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
20,468 posts
276 reviews
148 helpful votes
8. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

There’s a big difference between a muzzle and a mask and, contrary to what Ezsme says no countries require you to wear a muzzle, however many require you to wear a mask in certain situations.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,312 posts
23 reviews
78 helpful votes
9. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

The answers depend where you are going.

Even now testing, quarantine, mask regulations, are not universal.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
6 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: Vaccine passport
Save

What’s it like where you are suze?

Reply to: Vaccine passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.