We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

C C
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I wanted to throw this out on Tripadvisor since I use this all the time to get good info for trips/cruises. If you ever find yourself in need of a wheelchair on a cruise, I would strongly suggest that you avoid Special Needs at Sea. I had the misfortune of dealing with them after my wife hurt herself and needed a chair. My main issue is their predatory pricing. For the price they charged me, I could have bought and kept a wheelchair. I found several dealers that would have charged me half after the fact. Do you homework before you make arrangements, bit I would rather crawl on the ground than do business with them again.

27 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I rented two electric scooters with this company. They told me they would fit in the room. Both AAA asked for size and they supposedly checked and so did Special needs supposedly said oh yes they will fit. Well guess what they did not fit and this made it very inconvenient. At night tjhey took them down to basement to charge every night at 11 p.m. we could not get them until 6 a.m. During the day we had to leave down at the elevators half way down the boat every time we wanted to comeback to room we had to call and wait for somebody to bring them to us or we could walk. If we could walk we wouldnt have rented these scooters. Anyway between the AAA and princess and this place they need to get their act together no communication or they would have told us they would not fit. But they didn't want to lose money. I have put a complaint in and lets see what happens.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

My biggest issue with renting from them is their PREDATORY CONTRACT.... They state in big bold letters at the beginning of the contract that if they deem you violated their contract, you owe them $500,000.00 since it's difficult to "ascertain" how much you damaged them. Yes, you read that right... $500k!!!! SERIOUSLY, BEWARE!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,689 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

That would be an agreement that I would have avoided like the plague !!!

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

Thank you for posting this alarming information. I will take my own mini scooter on a cruise I'm planning next year. Horrific! And that $500 000.00!!!! Dear Lord, what have they been smoking??

Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I rented a mobility scooter rrom SNG. It had a defective battery which would not keep a charge for more than 30 minutes. The scooter stranded me in Nassau, Bahamas, making it necessary to solicit help to push it back to the ship. SNG made arrangements for a replacement two days into my trip but refused to give me credit for those two missed days of use. I am currently working on a chargeback with my bank. SNG never returned my calls, or responded to emails for help on this issue. Special Needs Group is a cold and uncaring mis-handler of disabled people.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

Both my dad and I rented scooters from SNG over Christmas for a NCL cruise. SNG was friendly helpful, and efficient. Neither of us had any complaints.

Regarding it fitting into the cabin, I had concerns about that so I checked with SNG and NCL. Depending on which scooter you rent, it may or may not fit. Their heavy duty scooter will not fit into a regular cabin (26 in door). The heavy duty scooter requires an accessible cabin. Our scooters did fit into the cabins but it was a tight fit.

Northern California
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I rented a scooter for Freedom, it fit in a standard balcony cabin.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

Holy crap 1/2 million $$$$$ for what they "deem". That is B.S. Thanks for the heads-up.

Omaha, Nebraska
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I saw the same 500K in the terms and conditions and is at their will if they choose. It states basically if you use the website in any violation of terms and damages are hard to determine so they will be paid 500K.

I called and spoke to a customer service rep that said she had been there a long time and had never heard of this and that the only charges are for the rental. No other charges are done without knowledge. I let her know this basically stated it was at the companies discretion if they felt something was violated or did something that hurt the company that we the customer agreed to pay that amount. I asked her under what situations this could happen and she did not know and had never heard of anyone being charged this amount. I basically told her without a good answer I was renting elsewhere.

Hallandale Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea

I am sorry to see so much confusion regarding a penalty clause someone misread and has given false information about.

The comments regarding the $500,000 penalty are not correct. To clarify, any customer that rents equipment from Special Needs Group is not subject to that. It is not mentioned anywhere in the agreement between a consumer and the company.

If an individual, company, or agency registers to have access to private proprietary information from Special Needs Group and decides to compete with the company, they are in breach of an agreement and subject to penalties

For any further clarification, please call Special Needs Group.

Reply to: Don't rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions