We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled friendly holidays abroad

My adult daughter is disabled and wheelchair bound. It is a special birthday next year and we would like to take her on holiday abroad as a treat. Does anyone have any ideas of disabled friendly destinations we could consider? Many years ago we took her to Florida and Mallorca. The latter was not disabled friendly then and it was very hard work - I felt in need of a holiday afterwards to recover! Could we consider a cruise? Are there any good ships or cruise holidays for the disabled?

200 replies to this topic
London, England
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
191. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Marylily

Not sure where you want to go. Or ask on the destination forum Boards.

Yes, I agree that Cruising is a good option for disabled people.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
192. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I think it depends on the type of disability you are referring to. On a previous post I have mentioned that there is a organisation in Manchester, that offers supported holidays in the UK and abroad for adults with a learning disability. Once I find out the name of this organisation I will post it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
193. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

There are many hotels and apartments claiming to be wheelchair friendly, often this means having one or two rooms on the premises with wider doors and/or wet room shower facilities but there are only a handful of places in Europe dedicated to disabled visitors although able bodied families are still welcome. They include : at Polis in Cyprus; Nautilus in Matagorda, Lanzarote; CentreAlgarve at Moncarapacho in eastern Algarve; and I believe one in Roscommon, Ireland but I have no experience of that one. To my knowledge there are none in America of the dedicated kind. The European ones I refer to can easily be found online.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
194. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I am a wheelchair user and solo traveller, I have recently visited Barcelona and Berlin which I found both to be very accessible including the public transport systems.

Before the end of the year I intend to visit Brussels, Venice and Marrakech. I have a travel blog relating my travel experiences as a wheelchair user which is at www.weekender.blog (It is called weekender because that is the longest I can get away owing to needing medical treatment every Mon, Wed, and Fri)

Mornington...
1 post
Save Reply
195. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

My wheelchair adult daughter did a cruise with Carnival Cruises they were amazing nothing was too much trouble when we went to do excursions in port they were ready to carry her & chair without even saying anything AMAZING I'm now looking into New York

Waynesburg...
1 post
Save Reply
196. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

do you take your own scooter with you, or do you arrange for rental at your destination?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
197. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

look at the Nautilus apartment complex. claims to be first designed & built to suit wheelchair users. gets good reviews.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
198. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

But where is it?

Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
199. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi I am fully wheelchair dependant, how do you get from the airport to the hotels. I have been disapointed in the UK when they say they have full disabled facilities then they either have a couple of steps or a bath in the room, no shower chairs etc.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
200. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

In Barcelona I got from the airport to the hotel on the Metro, in Berlin on the S-Bahn trains.

Reply to: Disabled friendly holidays abroad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted