We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Disabled friendly holidays abroad

My adult daughter is disabled and wheelchair bound. It is a special birthday next year and we would like to take her on holiday abroad as a treat. Does anyone have any ideas of disabled friendly destinations we could consider? Many years ago we took her to Florida and Mallorca. The latter was not disabled friendly then and it was very hard work - I felt in need of a holiday afterwards to recover! Could we consider a cruise? Are there any good ships or cruise holidays for the disabled?

200 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,376 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi franklinblue;

I would suggest posting your question on the "Cruises" forum, which is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.h…

You might also consider posting your question on TripAdvisor's sister site, CruiseCritic.com

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,597 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I would love to make a suggestion to you but there is a Grantham in each of Australia, UK, USA and Canada, so don't know where to begin.

You might consider editing your profile to include a country?

London, England
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Although I am not in a wheelchair I have limited mobility due to arthritis. A couple of years ago my partner and I did a Caribbean cruise and there were a few wheelchair bound passengers on board. Most cruise ships have adapted rooms too.

there are so many places to consider that it may be better to whittle your choice to a couple of destinations and then put your questions on the appropriate forums.

Yo say you went to Mallorca some years ago. I think you will find Spain has changed since then. There are lots of posts on the Benidorm Forum regarding facilities for disabled travellers.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
169 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Regarding Spain, at least Barcelona is very wheelchair friendly. My gf uses a wheelchair and it was really easy to do anything there!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Spain has come a long way in the last years. I spent a week in Lanzarote, in the Beatriz Playa Hotel, just outside Puerto del Carmen and it was all accessible (apart from the shower/bath). I've also just returned from a week in Hurghada, Egypt. We stayed in the Ali Baba Palace Hotel and it was fab!!!

I am severyly disabled and glued to my wheelchair, but had no problem. Everything was perfectly adapted.

england
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

We are going to the Lara Beach hotel in Turkey for a month in November but I've read that the rooms are rather small /overcrowded with too many beds. I walk with a wheeled walking frame [otherwise called a delta frame or rollator] and need to be able to get about the room /balcony /bathroom with it. Can anyone suggest a good room number please? We prefer a high floor with sea view if possible.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 07:42
england
4 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I would like to recommend Roquetas de mar in Almeria , Spain as very suitable for your needs. It has a beautiful 5 mile prom which goes from the port at one end to a huge park at the other.It is totally flat the whole way with very even paving, park benches every 20 yards and a flat topped sea wall which you can also sit on for a rest. There are lovely hotels all along the front as well as dozens of restaurants and cafes and bars. We have stayed there for the last ten years in the winter months as I have severe arthritis and walk with a wheeled frame but lots of people go there with wheeelchairs and even mobility scooters because it is so flat.The Hesperia Sabinal is very good for people with disabilities, as they have gentle ramps to dining room/bars thalasso therepy pool and reserved tables for disabled visitors.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

susanjanettaylor

I would put your question on the relevant Turkey Forum

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
9. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I'm in a wheelchair (I prefer manuel). I've been on many cruises and been to many overseas locations, from Venice to Cairo. My advice is: Do lots of homework. E-mail to see if your hotel meets your needs. Take a young, strong helper with you to help with luggage and pushing. As far as cruise ships go, the newer the ship, the better the handicap facilities. Actually, cruising is a great way to tackle beginner travel.

What I have trouble with are: cobblestones, steps, especially on cruise ship ramps, tenders, buses. I usually take cabs. Londons black cabs are great. If you have a specific question, I'd be glad to give advice.

Tenerife, Spain
4 posts
10. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Tenerife is considered by many to be the most popular destination in Europe if not the world for the disabled. It has adapted hotels and apartments, beaches and walkways especially for the disabled and trips, transfers and equipment hire are all easily available. With lots to see and do or just relax in the sun Tenerife is for you

Reply to: Disabled friendly holidays abroad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions