We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

I’m due to travel to USA next week from uk via Amsterdam and Atlanta to Florida.I have visual impairment and hard of hearing and have requested assistance.I don’t need a wheelchair but need help to see boards to connect and struggle to hear announcements . I’m particularly anxious about getting through immigration with long queues and then finding connections. Has anyone had any experience of this ? Will the person assisting me remain with me through immigration queues and guide me to gate? Will they pick me up at the jet bridge on the arriving aircraft? Sorry, travelling alone and a bit unsure how this will work . Would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this with a guide and not in a wheelchair. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
107,781 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

Hi Maps610106;

The focus of this forum is more on general questions about travelling with a disability.

For questions about travelling to specific destinations, you can use the destination forums, which you can browse or search for, starting here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ForumHome

For your convenience, the Atlanta forum is here on TA...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g60898-i104-Atlanta_Georgia.html

Best Regards

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
362 reviews
292 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

Hi Maps610106, and welcome to the forum.

I suspect, for safety, they may prefer you go in a wheelchair, this may also be quicker as the attendant can walk more quickly if he's not having to guide you.

You will miss the main queues, and will be helped through immigration.

Normally there'll be somebody to meet you at the plane exit, and they'll take you to your taxi, or last time in London as far as baggage reclaim, but that was only because he realised I could then walk the rest of the way.

Use the Atlanta forum as well in case they can give you more specific advice.

You will be looked after.

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

Thanks very much that’s reassuring🤞🏻

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

Thanks will try Atlanta forum

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
107,781 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Save

You're welcome!

Reply to: Travelling through Atlanta with visual impairmrnt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.