We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

So far completely underwhelmed. My wife has a broken leg, so we are living with an accessibility challenge. So far, our hotel, the Lobstick Lodge, and Earls Restaurant are almost inaccessible to mobility challenged. Fortunately my wife can crawl up stairs on her hands and knees if needed. It seems this should be criminal in 2023. What is going on here?

5 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
362 reviews
292 helpful votes
1. Re: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum. You are in a dreadful situation, and it isn't acceptable for your wife to have to crawl upstairs.

Regulations vary between countries.

A lot of older buildings are unsuitable for adaptions to make them accessible. In the UK, they may be listed and not allowed to install lifts!

Does the hotel have any rooms for the disabled?

Did the accident happen during the holiday? If not, I know from my own experience it's very important to sort this out before travelling, and make sure the hotel can give you what you need. Of course, this is really difficult when an accident messes up your plans.

Perhaps you can find another more suitable hotel, but it does depend on whether the hotel you're at now will give you a refund.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
28,841 posts
333 reviews
161 helpful votes
2. Re: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

If the broken leg occurred while you’re on holiday, have you tried your travel insurance company to check whether they will pay for you to move to more suitable accommodation?

Alternatively, if the accident was a known event before you travelled, did you check with the accommodation that it would be suitable? If their answer was yes then you have a case for a refund at least for the rest of your stay.

If neither of the above apply, then perhaps the management of your current accommodation would be generous enough to refund at least part of the cost of your accommodation to allow you to move elsewhere.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
28,841 posts
333 reviews
161 helpful votes
3. Re: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

I’m not sure there’s National legislation. You may need to check local requirements. In the U.K., for example, a “reasonable adjustment ” clause applies.

Does the hotel have any accessible rooms? It appears most states only require that a proportion of rooms cater for those with disabilities.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
33,967 posts
130 reviews
189 helpful votes
4. Re: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

I hope your wife's leg is well on the way to recovery now, and I'm sorry that you found it tough to get around here in Jasper.

I'm sure your vacation has ended already, but just wanted to mention that there are dozens of other restaurants in Jasper besides Earls (which wouldn't be in my "top five"). Did you contact them in advance to enquire about accessibility? They do have a service elevator, although from a review here on TA, it sounds like access to that is somewhat problematic too.

The Lobstick Lodge was built decades ago, so doesn't meet current accessibility standards. There are newer hotels in Jasper that have elevators and accessible rooms, many of which are part of the same group (Pursuit) - the Chateau Jasper and Forest Park Hotel are two with elevators. (Mentioning this for others who might find this thread by searching and need this information.)

Twelve hotels list wheelchair accessible rooms on the official tourism site:

https://www.jasper.travel/accommodations/?type=wheelchair-friendly

Some of the park facilities are accessible: https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/accessible I participated in park management open houses and surveys earlier this year, and accessibility is one of the priorities Parks Canada is working on.

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Save

We booked the Lobstick based on availability and their website which states they are accessible. The front desk staff and the on-call manager all confirmed after checkin that the website is incorrect and the property has not been accessible for years. They encouraged us to post negative reviews, which we have done. They also refunded about 70% of the original al price as compensation. We arrived late the first night and Earls was the only sit down restaurant with an opening. Owing to my wife’s lack of mobility, we opted not to roam the streets by wheelchair looking for an opening, and were expecting the bland food and loud environment that we later experienced. Yes, we posted the review on Earl’s with the photo of the garbage, cigarette butts, and dingy entrance around the back alley service elevator. No, Earl’s obviously does not cater to mobility challenged patrons and as a national chain in an international destination in Canada is a terrible ambassador. We subsequently dined at some good street level restaurants, without further trouble. Our experience was eye opening and I would certainly recommend that any visitor with mobility issues carefully research their Jasper itinerary, as accessibility is not taken seriously by the major hotel chain and chain restaurants.

Edited: 22 October 2023, 13:54
Reply to: Did you find Jasper AB accessible for disabled visitors?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.