We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - hotel being difficult!

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

We booked in February for Parque del Sol in Tenerife for this August. We did exactly the same last year and were able to request an accessible room. This time round the hotel are refusing to confirm that they can accommodate this. All they will say is that they will do their best. I have explained that I am travelling with two disabled adults (one in a wheelchair and one with crutches) plus a young child.

I have no idea what to do as I cannot be left in a position of finding out on arrival that they cannot help. Tui have tried to help but the hotel are not even responding to them. I cannot find anywhere else at such short notice! I can't even access the hotel manager's name to escalate this.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Diane

7 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
362 reviews
292 helpful votes
1. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

I'm so sorry, what a horror story.

The first suggestion (from my wife) is to contact Scope in the UK. https://www.scope.org.uk/ Click on Advice and Support and select whichever options look best for you.

You could contact tourist information in Tenerife, I Googled and found this site https://www.webtenerife.co.uk/plan-trip/tourist-information-centres/

I don't know this website, so not sure how useful that would be.

You could ask for suggestions on the Tenerife forum, which I see you have used it last year, or the forum for the town where the hotel is.

What a dreadful start to this holiday. I hope you get help to sort it out.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

Thank you so much for your advice - this is amazing. I will let you know how I get on - you are very kind - thank you to you and your wife!

Diane

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

Just to let you know, I have now heard from the hotel and they have now confirmed we will be given the correct accommodation! Thank you so much for your help - I will keep this information for the future!

Diane

London, England
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
71 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

Diane H

I always book everything direct. I need an accessible room and have never had any hotel say it hasn’t been possible. I go away frequently and to all kinds of destinations. I always pay with a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and have good travel insurance.

It’s so much easier than relying on somebody else booking for you.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
362 reviews
292 helpful votes
5. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

Hi hermanaeriza, I feel the same.

However the Canary Isles are difficult for independent travellers.

We tried to book directly a few years ago, and found it almost impossible, most hotels could only be booked through an agency.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
458 posts
30 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

I always all the property to confirm and get the name of the person you talk to. If you deal with the agency the hote lcan always say that was a third party an dnobody asked them. ISems like every place, here and abroad is saying l we have you down for an accessible, but it's just a request. You were notified that we try to honor request, but can't guarantee them. I respond, I understand your policy on requests, but this is a REQUIREMENT. I must have an accessible room because______. You have taken a deposit from me. Please hold the room for my arrival." (I also confirm this convesration in writing-- and plan to arrive early in the day so there ARE options.) Be prepared to "camp" in the lobby-- I'd bet they would find you a room really fast!

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
362 reviews
292 helpful votes
7. Re: Help - hotel being difficult!
Save

Hi Diane,

Missed your post that your problem was sorted, so glad things worked out for you, it would have been a very difficult position if they hadn't responded.

Reply to: Help - hotel being difficult!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.