We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q's regarding using wheelchair

South West England...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
Q's regarding using wheelchair
Save

Hello,

This will be my 1st time using a wheelchair when travelling and I have a few Q's and hope others can share their experiences/findings.

Our flight iss with BA and I called Special Assistance; first person was very good but we unfortunately got disconnected and the next person.

I spoke to said I would need Fit-2-Fly, letter from neuro and gp and complete 6pg document and without all of this I would probably be denied check-in ~ feeling a little concerned that a holiday booked in 2019 for 2020 has been moved to 2021 and then to 2022 and now this.

After getting rather hot and bothered and deciding to take a break I returned to the issue and found a number and put through to a new person to g though everything again (3rd time lucky?) they made a note of wheelchair size/weight, reason for wheelchair use and said I didn't need F2F, neuro/gp letters, complete 6pg document ~ should I take this as now sorted?

Flight & Wheelchair info:

Heathrow UK to Perugia Italy, economy 07.25am later this month.

I will be using a 16" lightweight (11.5kg) folding travel wheelchair.

Few other Q's I have are:

1: What can I expect when passing through security regarding me and w/chair; what will I have to do/not do?

2: Will be travelling with husband, daughter, s-in-l, grandchildren - when will I be expected to board plane and will we board as a family or separately?

3: Will I be expected to leave my w/chair at plane entrance?

4: Where will my w/chair then be put?

5: Normally we book our seats but what with knock on C-19 airport/airline challenges and now using a w/chair I've not but are w/char users expct0d to sit in isle or window seats (know emergency exits are a no)?

6: Do you have any other things I need to expect/be aware that I've not mentioned or thought about?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and help in answering my Q's will be much appreciated

Kind Regards

VKE

3 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
339 reviews
279 helpful votes
1. Re: Q's regarding using wheelchair
Save

I was horrified to read your problems with BA. I've never had any problem with Thai or Singapore Airlines, they just look at me, and realise I need the help which I've already asked for, You could try asking on the Air Travel forum https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html and see what's suggested there.

You can either use your own wheelchair and leave it at the gate, and it'll be returned to the gate when you arrive, Alternatively you may find it better to use the airport wheelchair and just hand yours in as extra check in luggage, the airline may suggest which is better.

1) If you can walk with the aid of a stick, they may invite you to walk through the machine, otherwise they'll pat you down, and do simple checks on your wheelchair. In practice several times I've been told to just sit there although I can easily walk through the machine, either way it'll all be organised for you,

2) Your family group will board together and you'll be among the first to board the plane.

3) Not sure if you can walk at all, if not you will need to be taken to your seat in a special wheelchair suitable for airplane aisles. If that's the case, do make sure they are aware.

4) Already answered

5) It always seems best to me if the wheelchair user sits by the window so as not to impede others exiting in an emergency, I'm assuming you're on a smaller plane with just a single central aisle.

6) Don't worry. Systems are in place to handle all sorts of disabilites. You will be looked after, and I have to say I've found airports much less difficult since I've needed special assistance. Just leave it to the airport staff to look after you, it is scary the first time, but you will get there.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2. Re: Q's regarding using wheelchair
Save

Thank you for your message; I had a additional conversation with BA and they said I didn't need any Fit to Fly/gp paperwork adds far as they are concerned I've given them all of the relevant info.

I'll use my WH right up until I'm actually boarding the plane and my partner will then collapse it an hand it over to staff

I did say that it would make sense for me to have a window seat which wouldn't impact other passengers.

I guess I'll find out how smoothly things go later on this week ~ fingers crossed.

Kind Regards

VKE

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
339 reviews
279 helpful votes
3. Re: Q's regarding using wheelchair
Save

Thanks for letting us know.

Glad it's all sorted. Enjoy your trip.

Reply to: Q's regarding using wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.