We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
24 helpful votes
Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

My 17 yr old daughter has recently had mobility issues and walks with crutches. She is having assistance at EMA to get onto the plane via a wheelchair and the air bridge. How do I know what seats to book on the plane when I don't know if the air bridge will be at the front or the back of the plane? What do people normally do? We don't need extra leg room, i just don't want to book seats at the wrong end after working hard to make her journey as easy and pain- free as it can be. All advice appreciated, this is all new to us. Thankyou

5 replies to this topic
Tring, United...
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
118 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

The air bridge usually goes to the front entrance, with stairs going to the rear. If you booked special assistance via the airline, they may have allocated seats near the entrance/exit already. I can only suggest contacting them for your own peace of mind, if nothing else.

London, England
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
70 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

You need to ring the airlines Special Assistance. They allocate the seats that are best for you at no extra charge.

London, United...
1 post
3. Re: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

This is not so. I've been all day trying to allocating extra leg room with having to take claxene as precaution. And unseen disabilities. They are less than helpful. I've now got BA looking into it. Qatar are now asking fir a disabled certificate. Even though I have gp letter stating all of my meds. That fill a large toilet bag. Honestly my anxiety has gone through the roof today and my trip I feel I do not wish to take via Qatar aurline

London, England
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
70 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

Tracey D

Most airlines don’t allocate extra legroom to people with disabilities. It could impede evacuation of the aircraft should there be an emergency.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Save

Thank you for your replies- we finally got through to TUI and they booked seats for us at the front of the plane because the air bridge is at the front, as you said. They were very helpful. Hope everyone else has a positive travel experience. Sue

Edited: 02 August 2022, 20:25
Reply to: Booking seats when having mobility assistance at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.