We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

Ireland
6 posts
Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

My wife has Ushers Syndrome, partially deaf, partlally blind, works full time and is very independent. We planned to go to San Fransico in Sept. Here's the problem, on the ESTA form, Eligibility Q1 seems to put disabled travellers in with the mentally ill, drug addicts and so on. We checked with our travel agent, American Holidays and they said that if she was to click 'yes' the authorities may not allow her to travel, click no and she would be lying to them. We've both been to the USA before and never encountered what looks like to me blatant discrimination.

Tried contacting the authorities for confirmation but no answer. If anyone has any advice or clarification on this point we would be grateful.

11 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

Can you say what Q1 is without us having to look it up.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,822 posts
290 reviews
2. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

I could not find it.

3. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2018, 16:13

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,822 posts
290 reviews
4. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

Thanks, Mondial,

It almost seem somehow related to ones employment being involved in traveling to the U.S.?

Kesh

5. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2018, 16:14

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

He's talking about question 1 on the ESTA application. I don't know what the question is and I can't be bothered to look it up. You link is not that.

Why do people post questions and then not bother to come back? It's rude. If this is the case with the OP I'll leave it at that, no point in being any more helpful.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,551 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

I apologise, I was referring to the wrong document.

I will remove the link I posted to it.

Mon

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

I guess he’s answered his own question. If he’d read the notes, there’s no discrimination.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,822 posts
290 reviews
9. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

I still can’t find the info the OP is referring to?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,551 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.

It’s here, under “Eligibility” questions.

https:/…

My earlier link was to the wrong category of Visa, and I apologised for the erroneous information I linked to and removed my post.

If the OP ever returns to this forum post of his, which I doubt, he might perhaps understand that merely asking a question about disability, doesn’t amount to “ blatant discrimination “.

Answering the question truthfully isn’t necessarily an automatic refusal for entry to the USA, and the OP knows that perfectly well.

Reply to: Disabled people travelling to the USA for a holiday.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions