We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility scooters in the UK

3 posts
Mobility scooters in the UK

I use a Pride Mobility Elite Traveler Go Go at home in California. I'm planning a trip to the UK later this year and would like to know if I could bring my scooter with me. It's been a long time since I've been there and the scooter use is fairly new for me.

4 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,760 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Mobility scooters in the UK

I can't see a reason why not. It should be carried for free on the 'planes, just make sure you let,the airlines know about it in advance.

Also if you are going to use trains to get around the country, assistance to help,you at stations ia available and free - again you need to organise this in advance, though.

You have not said where in the UK you intend to go. Some local transport companies will only let certain types of scooters aboard. There is a list on the TFL (Transport for London) website somewhere. Buses are definitely more scooter friendly than the Tube. I'm not sure how other cities and towns approach this, though.

Most hotels, restaurants and attractions have done their best to be as accessable as possible. However, due to design of buildings, not everywhere is, in some cases it's just impossible to put in a ramp and widen doorways in some of our ancient buildings. Overall, though, the UK is "ahead" on trying to make places available to all.

If you have specific questions a out specific parts of the UK, best to ask on the local forums.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Mobility scooters in the UK

Check the charger is 240V compatible.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Mobility scooters in the UK

I live in London and used to have the same scooter. When you book your flight you need to book Special Assistance and the scooter will be carried FOC.

The UK is fairly disabled friendly, so you should be OK. Most taxis will be able to carry it, but you may have to take it apart. In London black cabs there won't be a problem.

Museums, attractions and theatres offer 'carer goes free' discounts, but you need to book direct.

Do plenty of research regarding hotels as not all will be suitable.

San Gabriel...
Level Contributor
50 posts
4. Re: Mobility scooters in the UK

I traveled to Ireland last year with my husband who uses the same scooter. As EssexWanderer mentioned, be sure to state you require Special Assistance. You can take the scooter right up to the gate and an attendant will take the scooter to the hold area of the plan prior to boarding. When you arrive at your destination, they will bring the scooter to you at the gate. (At least this is what Aer Lingus did). The whole process was so easy and made for a great start of a wonderful trip. Have a fun trip!

Reply to: Mobility scooters in the UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions