We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

NYC
8 posts
Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

I will be traveling to Ireland in June with my family. My husband is in a wheelchair (he's not able to walk at all) and would like to drive us around on our visit. Has anyone ever rented a van that would not only have a ramp for access but that would allow the person in the wheelchair to drive (with hand controls) and not just to ride as a passenger. We have an adapted van in the US which he drives and he's a much better driver than I am (scared to drive in Ireland's narrow roads and on the other side of the street).

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

Hi MJGNyc

Your question is location-specific so I think it's worth asking on the Ireland forum too.

Sorry, I can't help beyond that but wish you good luck finding a suitable van.

scoodly

NYC
8 posts
2. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

Thank you, I will post on Ireland forum.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

You could also try a google search. In the UK and Ireland it would be an adapted vehicle. A van is used for carrying tools and goods.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

I guess you’ve done a Google search and found this.

https://vantastic.ie/rental-cars/

London, England
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

smudge

Those charges seem fairly reasonable, but I think OP wants an adapted vehicle so they can drive themselves. I suppose if they don't have the right kind of vehicle, they may know a company that does.

Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

You could contact the Irish wheelchair association who afaik are based in Clontarf in Dublin. They definitely have a driving school & I’d imagine they’d be able to point you in the right direction if not definitively answer your question. Or as suggested in another post Vantastic but I’m not sure if they’re a company that modifies vehicles. Good luck & enjoy your visit.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin

Sadly too late for the OP as they were travelling in June but may be of use to someone else.

Reply to: Renting a wheelchair accessible van in Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions