We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Hi all,

I'm about to travel to the US for a long period of time, and I'm taking four Humira pens with me. The biggest issue is how to keep them cool. (2-8 degrees celcius)

I know that the medication is not allowed in cooled storage on the plane, so I'll need to make sure I have some kind of cooling solution on me for the trip (~14 door-to-door)

I'm reading that a lot of people are using the FRIO insuline cooling bags, but unfortunately it seems they do not cool well enough to keep the Humira fully cooled (it keeps it at 8 deg lower than ambient temp, which would be above 8 degrees).

Per the FRIO website and the Humira website, Humira needs to be used within 14 days after traveling outside of the refrigerator - The four pens I'm taking with me should last at least two months...

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who ever flew with more than one Humira pen; how did you manage?

16 replies to this topic
Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland, Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
34,596 posts
295 reviews
213 helpful votes
1. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Recent thread covering Humira please click on thread below, post 5.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k10984907-Humira_Injections-Traveling_With_Disabilities.html#87603241

2 posts
2. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Hi

I just wondered how you solved the issue of travel to USA with humira pens ?

My son will be travelling to Mexico via USA , total travel time 19.5 hours with six months supply of humira ?

Jody

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
320 posts
3. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Hi Jody - not exactly the same situation or medication, but my partner is flying to Australia with medication that needs to be kept as cool as Humira. I've added a link below to my recent question and the responses.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k12061814-Transporting_refrigerated_medication-Traveling_With_Disabilities.html

Don't know when your son is travelling? My partner travels in two weeks and I can report back if that would be useful?

JSCAPM

2 posts
4. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Hi

Thank you for your reply, he is travelling this coming Thursday. I have found ( and ordered) an I cool cube from molly mojo, it will keep medication between 2-8’C for 35 hours. I can let you know how effective it is, if you like.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
320 posts
5. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Feedback would be great Jody, thank you. We have the icool bag but obviously haven’t tried it yet.

We're a bit concerned about the bag being opened by security at each airport and whether it then loses its effectiveness. My partner has a letter from his consultant plus another from the dispensary. Fingers crossed these will be sufficient.

JSCAPM

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
320 posts
6. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Just leaving a further update following travel.

The cool bag worked perfectly and kept the medication at the required temperature for the lengthy journey. It was only inspected by security at Manchester and not during transit at Hong Kong, where seeing the accompanying documentation appeared to be sufficient.

JSCAPM

Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland, Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
34,596 posts
295 reviews
213 helpful votes
7. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

JSCAPM,

Thanks for the update.

Kesh_grammy

2 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Great info, thanks for sharing :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

My son needs to take 8 boxes of humira from the US to Australia. When your traveled did he store his medicine in the boxes they came in or just the pens alone? I can’t find anything big enough to hold 8 boxes.

1 post
10. Re: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Save

Same situation (son traveling to Australia with 6 mos. supply of Humira syringes)! Have done it before with a hard sided rolling cooler, but any updates/suggestions of a better cooler? Hard sided is bulky and doesn't always fit in the overhead especially if taking a smaller flight along the way. Thanks much!

Reply to: How do I keep my medication (Humira) cool on the plane?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.