We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BookVIP Awareness

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
BookVIP Awareness
Save

For those of you lured in by the temptation of the deals at BookVIP.com, I thought I'd share my recent experience so that you can be well prepared.

-Searched for a vacation deal in Cabo San Lucas (as well as several other destinations) on their site. After going back and forth on a spot, we finally picked a hotel and attempted to book. The website immediately told us there was no availability at that hotel, but allowed us to search for an alternate facility. We completed the online form and submitted our payment, careful to read EVERY fine print and link to any side terms and conditions.

-Immediately, in lieu of a confirmation of some sort, we were directed to call into their service line to "finalize" the reservation. Upon calling in, we were greeted with a representative informing me that our exact dates were not available, however a small 2 day shift (which was acceptable) would provide us the time and hotel we wanted in the heart of Cabo. It was THEN that he informed me that this price was available only as part of a time share demo that would take place on our second day. This was the first notation of ANY kind (there were NO comments regarding this requirement on the website), however, we were going to be there for 6 days and 90 minutes or so was worth the savings, so I agreed.

-He immediately forwarded an email with a link to the terms and conditions of the time share rules, of which, I was required to read and accept online for us to continue. In that email, in small print...it says they have 3-7 days to confirm final accommodations ...a pretty big window for something to go wrong. Plus, the presentation and timing almost drags you past it without really looking at it as you are guided to the really small print of the actual terms and conditions.

-I was informed the next communication would be from the hotel to firm up the reservation and make transportation arrangements from the airport.

-I have my hotel booked (so I thought)...back to my airline site to book my flight for two to beautiful Cabo.

-10 days after they charged my credit card...I get a phone call from BookVIP. The hotel has been "sold out" and the only available option is 40 minutes outside of Cabo. They can offer other dates, 2 months after the original planned time, or a refund...but NOTHING to account for non-refundable/changeable airfare that is locked into those dates.

Take from this what you will. I'm sure most can guess there was a lot more anger and emotion that could have been included here, but I wanted to be straightforward so that each person can learn what they'd like from my experience.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
37,150 posts
1. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

Such a shame you hadn't read the hundreds of Tripadvisor forum topics on that company beforehand. Your story is quite familiar. If you wish to see what other people have been through with BookVIP, scroll up to the search box just above your question, type in BookVIP, and from the drop-down menu next to the search box choose "All Forums". That will bring up hundreds of complaints on them.

Checking on a companies reputation before booking with them is a good idea. It can save you a lot of time, stress, upset and money.

Edited: 6 years ago
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
20,623 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
2. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

<but I wanted to be straightforward so that each person can learn what they'd like from my experience.>

OR you could have learned from these almost 500 experiences which were reported for you to read here.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k7031489-Has_anyone_used_bookvip_com_to_book_a_vacation_property-Bargain_Travel.html

Sorry - the time to do the research is before booking and certainly before handing over your payment/money. The above thread was quite long - the fact is that there are hundreds of other warning posts, just like the one above and just like yours. Warnings are only good if people read them. Sorry for your loss.

3. Re: BookVIP Awareness

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37,352 posts
83 reviews
99 helpful votes
4. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

I'm shocked that these kinds of scams are allowed to operate. You would think the government would pass a law against it to protect idiots from being scammed. I just can't believe it .....

Surely it is not fair to really expect people to read all of those terms and conditions before they agree to them and spend all that money can you ? That's just not reasonable.

5. Re: BookVIP Awareness

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
113,803 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
6. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

Those who are most in need of being warned, seldom go looking for the warnings, I'm afraid. I think you are largely preaching to the converted here, InSub B.

I'm glad to see that you realise that you should have researched before you handed your money over, and hopefully this will prevent you from being in the same situation again in future.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
20,623 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
7. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

InSub B : The language you've used in your post is not acceptable and it's the reason I've reported your post as unfriendly. Just because you gave them your money, doesn't give you the right to use such language in your post. Sadly, you didn't "find" TripAdvisor to research them - because if you had - you would have seen thousands of mostly negative posts on them. Including the "details" which you seem to have uncovered in your research, like BBB listings and who they really operate as. I honestly feel for all the people who have been wronged by them. Hopefully when you plan your next trip with an agency you don't know - you will research them fully using google and tripadvisor - or better yet, book directly with the resort.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
113,803 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
8. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

bk_t1 is right, your language is unacceptable, but feel free to post again in a more suitable style for this site when, or if, your post is taken down.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: BookVIP Awareness
Save

I saw the bookvip.com website and mistakenly signed up and paid for a trip to Cancun. Afterwards I read all the reviews on TA and became very concerned since I already booked my airline for my family. I called them to request them to cancel and refund my money as I can book directly to the hotel by paying more but atleast I will have a peace of mind and relax. But they refused to refund me the money. I called the actual hotel and talk to them about legitimacy of bookvip and they felt comfortable that there should be no problem as they get people from book vip.

I still cannot risk my trip as we are going with our two kids. I am now thinking of booking another hotel directly with a free cancellation just in case if bookvip calls me one week before my trip to cancel my reservation then I will go to the other hotel and not atleast ruin my family vacation.

I feel this would work and I feel this could be a backup plan for others as well who are still afraid of using bookvip.

After my trip I will definitely write a review of what worked or not. I have spent several hours on reading hundereds of posts on this topic. I wish some "real" posters would post their experience of a trip that went well with bookvip..

10. Re: BookVIP Awareness

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.