We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels.com is a scam

1 post
hotels.com is a scam
Save

Hotels.com is a scam. They will tell you one thing and do something else.

I prepaid for a hotel, through their site, and when I arrived the hotel stated no rooms were booked in our name. Hotel.com dropped the ball and did not book us a room.

Since Beyonce was in town, all hotels in the area were "booked". That's the story we got. Not what we wanted to hear after a 14 hour drive.

Hotels.com, after an hour, with "customer service" said they would "upgrade" us to another room. We originally booked 2 beds and a sofa bed (for 5 people). The upgrade was for 1 bed and 1 sofa bed. Sorry, but I didn't want my 2 children sleeping on the floor (which smelled like vomit - literally) and that is NOT an upgrade.

They stated they would refund the first room and pay for a second room. Nope. Got back from vacation and they did neither. They do not return phone calls or emails either.

We had another hotel we booked (later in the trip). No problems with that one.

However, since there is absolutely no customer service I'll never use them again and wouldn't recommend anyone use them.

Taking my money in advance and not booking a room is fraud.

All they had to do, was admit to their mistake and pay for the 2 rooms like they said they would and I'd be leaving a glowing review instead.

223 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
111,575 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
1. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

I find it rather odd how so many booking sites fail to reserve rooms for their customers when there are big events happening. As in Beyonce on this occasion.

Or could it possibly be that hotels are choosing to bump guests for higher paying customers and then trying to blame the booking site?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
15,424 posts
61 reviews
90 helpful votes
2. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

Chris,

Posting the same complaint multiple times may make you feel better, but trip advisor considers it spam. Several or all of your posts will likely be removed.

What may be of more value to you is to read replies from other travelers. You will find good recommendations to protect yourself in the future.

1. Always confirm your reservation directly with the hotel. It is much easier to correct problems beforehand than when you are standing in the hotel lobby after a 14 hour drive. These forums are filled with tales of travelers who get turned away at a hotel as you did and not just from hotels.com reservations.

2. Book directly whenever possible to avoid problems like this with the middleman. Online travel agencies (all of them, not just hotels.com) are notorious for poor to non existent customer service. If anything goes wrong you are likely not going to get help.

3. It is most likely that the hotel overbooked and blamed hotels.com for not making your reservation. It's much easier to do that when you book third party rather than direct with the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
33,276 posts
3. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

>>>I prepaid for a hotel, through their site, and when I arrived the hotel stated no rooms were booked in our name. Hotel.com dropped the ball and did not book us a room<<<

The whole process is automated. It’s not like there’s a person who manually contacts the hotel and ‘books’ you a room. You and the hotel receive the confirmation simultaneously.

Hotels.com cannot sell what the hotel does not load. If you got a confirmation, so did the hotel.

Your grief is with the hotel.

As you said, you had no issue with the next reservation. If they are a scam, why didn’t they do the same the that reservation?

Yeah no logic

Edited: 3 years ago
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
50,675 posts
51 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

Why do people believe hotels when they blame the site they booked via? As Roj says, there's a noticeable upturn in hotels saying we've had no room booked in your name when there is a big concert, convention etc on. Funny that ;) Or of course you could actually think it through logically and work it out that the hotel is lying to you, and that you've been taken in, hook, line and sinker. They've got far more money for your room from someone that was desperate to see Beyonce, and was prepared to pay handsomely to be able to do just that.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

When this happens I wish the OP would name the hotel. We don't even know the city.

6. Re: hotels.com is a scam

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
17 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

Sometimes I wonder if people don't finish booking completely so that it never goes through.

We had someone the other night throw a temper tantrum in the lobby because we didn't have his reservation. When he showed us the confirmation email....it was for a completely different hotel. He just looked at the street name and assumed it was us.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

In my case, Hotel.com changed the dates I requested. I ordered a room at Iceman Rooms hostel in Bolzano (Italy) with check-in on May 4th (I'm arriving in Italy on April 19th). They made the reservation for February 3rd. Neither the day nor the month matched my request. I had to contact Bolzano's City Hall to get this hotel's telephone, because the number supplied by Hotels.com was wrong. The hotel owner did nothing to solve the problem. He already had the 45 dollars in his account. Hotels.com is a scammer. Never again with them. I booked the following 13 hotels through Booking.com.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
36,321 posts
9. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

You mean the phone number the hotel put when they uploaded their own details onto Hotels.com. That’s odd that they don’t even know their own phone number or made a typing error and entered their own details incorrectly onto Hotels.com.

I’ve used the Hotels.com APP on my iPad and never had it switch dates on me. I enter my dates to search for hotels, then when I choose the place I want I click to book and before finalising the booking and payment I can see if all the details and dates are correct. Only when I see everything is correct I click to book.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
43 reviews
27 helpful votes
10. Re: hotels.com is a scam
Save

There seems to be a desire on this site to make life difficult. Most hotels have websites. Book directly with the hotel. Ok?

Reply to: hotels.com is a scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.