We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Passport contains both maiden and married names

2 posts
French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Save

My mother in law is a french citizen.

Her passport page shows her last name as "maiden name ép. married name".

We are going to Australia and about apply for an eVisitor visa.

What name should I put into the application form?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited: 18 January 2023, 21:35
4 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
38,925 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Save

Put what is listed on her passport.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Save

We're Dutch, but our passports show the same. Using made up names, my mother's passport shows Jansen e/v (which stands for "echtgenote van" = married to) Smit, with the latter being my dad's name. My parents and I are also traveling to Australia later this year and when I applied for everyone's eta/visa, I used her maiden name. She always books plane tickets in her maiden name as well, so only makes sense to apply for visas etc with that name too.

Edited: 19 January 2023, 03:23
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
93 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Save

What does the machine-readable zone have? That is the two lines at the very bottom of the photo page. The top line will have something like

P

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Save

What the password shows is not her "maiden name" and "married name" as these concepts do not really exist in France. As in quite a few other European countries women keep their legal names when getting married.

So if the passport says "Jeanne Dupont ép. Martin" that just means that here name is Jeanne Dupont, and that she married a man with the surname Martin, and choose to have that shown on her password. Some women do use their husbands name in their daily life, hence this is also called "nom d'usage" but the official name is the one you got at birth. So that you should use for a visa.

Reply to: French Passport contains both maiden and married names
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.