We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

Charlotte
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

We'll be arriving at JFK from Charlotte via American, arriving at JFK at 3:19 pm. We're flying out of JFK via Air France @6:50 pm on a Monday evening, so that gives us a 3.5 hour window.

I've researched and found that the airtrain should take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to get from terminal 8 to terminal 1. We're not checking any luggage. Any reason to be concerned or re-think the flight from Charlotte? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,779 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

You should be ok as long as these flights are on the same ticket - if separate tickets a longer gap could be preferable just in case the first flight is delayed or cancelled.

I'd also suggest keeping an eye on your bookings in case either flight has a schedule change.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,318 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

Once you get to the Air Train it may only take the 10-15min but for me walking from my gate at American to the nearest Air Train stop took quite a while!! You have plenty of time but since you'll have to go through security again I wouldn't dawdle until I was actually at my 2nd terminal.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

The Air France flight out of JFK is still almost 5 months out, so I'll probably wait a bit before purchasing the flight from CLT to JFK. I could get to JFK earlier, arriving at 1:23 pm, but a 5.5 hour layover seems like overkill for a departure time of 6:45 pm from JFK...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

Why not fly from CLT to CDG directly? AA have seasonal non-stops. You can always do AA the whole way through if they're not operating non-stops when you fly.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

OP2002, I considered going right out of CLT actually. But the price difference was substantial. We're returning from Rome, and although there is a nonstop via American to CLT as well, the total cost would be about $4800 total for the 3 of us. That's vs about $3k to fly to NYC and catch a nonstop to Paris and nonstop back from Rome, along with catching flights to JFK and back from CLT. The $1800 difference made it worth it to make the connection from CLT to JFK and back.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1

Well, just leave yourself plenty of time, otherwise that price difference will be swallowed up several fold when you have to buy walk up tickets at JFK.

Reply to: JFK terminal 8 to terminal 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted