We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

South of England
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

Travel_Undercover Jnr has just arrived back from New York this morning with a story of long delays getting through JFK T7 security last night. He flew back in the evening on the BA JFK/LGW service.

He reported very long delays getting through security. It took him close to 90 minutes to get through and he said that passengers were getting agitated as processing was taking so long. He saw two passengers on an IB flight miss the flight as they arrived late to boarding following TSA screening issues.

The delays being caused by TSA were requiring all passengers to remove all food and snack items from bags and place into separate screening trays. Adding to the processing delay was apparently the fact that there were not enough trays for all of these items requiring separate screening and so general chaos in processing passengers as TSA had to keep running trays back down the line.

My son had a bag of Lay's potato chips which required a separate tray and screening. The lady in front of him had a snack size packet of Oreos. Each in a separate screening tray. His bag of Lay's was then subject to a second screening with a packet wipe for drugs/explosives.

What new "intelligence" have the American authorities received I wonder in the global fight against terrorism? An isolated TSA shift issue - or is this just another low in TSA's operation?

31 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

As I have never seen or heard of this before, I expect it was a specific sec alert

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

Pringles of mass destruction.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

I am sure there was a reason for this and the TSA need not explain themselves to you. I am very glad that risks that arise are taken seriously and that our safety is being put first.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,886 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

Was he in NYC on a lays over?

The crisps weren't bang bang chicken flavour were they ;-))

https:/…

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

I had exactly the same experience flying out of JFK at the end of September.

All food had to be on separate trays and there weren’t enough trays as just about everyone needed multiple trays for electronics, food and normal stuff. All food items were being sent for further checks and that was causing a lot of delays.

My problem was that my 2 muffins were in the first tray and my handbag containing valuables was also diverted for further screening because I had forgotten that I had a few pieces of chewing gum to help with my ears. The first tray containing the muffins was taken by one agent and my handbag was taken by another agent. The first agent with the muffins demanded that I stand with him while he searched my muffins (yes they went straight into the rubbish bin after that exercise!) but I was more interested in staying with my handbag.

Fortunately the second agent understood that I couldn’t be in 2 places at the same time so she stood and waited behind the first agent while he checked the muffins. Then when he was finished she searched my bag for my errant pieces of gum.

The fact that the TSA agents would only take 1 tray at a time and many people had multiple trays was causing a lot of issues as many trays initially appeared to be unclaimed because their owners were already busy having other items searched. There were multiple TSA people standing around waiting to search the belongings of every passenger with food and a large number of apparently abandoned trays. I was surprised as I hadn’t seen warnings not to travel with any food and I assumed it was a one off thing - maybe due to the UN meeting which was on at the time.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
382 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

Of course Lay's is a security threat... he should have had Utz brand chips. Your son chose poorly ;-)

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

Is it not reassuring to you that your son arrived home.....safely? Travelinallover post says it all

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

I suppose they have to justify all the billions that are being spent in US in the name of "security".

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

I returned to LHR from Turkey several years back. Just about every passenger had bought Turkish delight. Each box was opened and examined in great detail. Powdered sugar everywhere. Next day there was talk of a drugs seizure on the flight. No doubt my ruined holiday gifts were the result of an intelligence led search.

PS Ronaldo's on form today!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
1,863 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?

When it comes to the crunch, they cannot take the risk!

Reply to: Lay's Potato Chips - the new TSA security risk?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted