We had decided for a family outing and in view of the Modi-Xi Jinping Informal Summit at Mahabalipuram, we decided on a spot that was accessible on ECR and hence MGM Beach Resort. We were a group of 3 families comprising on 7 adults and 4 kids. All that we needed for one night was a comfortable room, decent restaurant and entertainment for the kids. We did get some and did not get some.
Positives - The resort certainly did have quite a few positives, viz.,
(1) Greenery aplenty - The resort had a lot of greenery compared to other resorts on ECR. You could find a shade most of the time and the greenery around kept the place cool.
(2) Easy access to beach - I am not aware if non-residents of the resort are allowed access to the beach, but as a resident we had unrestricted access to the beach. Also, the access to the beach was open till atleast 11 in the night unlike other resorts on ECR that close access as early as 7 PM.
(3) Quality food - The quality of the food was good and suitable for kids. The tea/ coffee and snacks that we ordered in the room was also good.
(4) Decent experience with check-in - Unlike other reviewed on TripAdvisor, we had a decent check-in experience. While we were made to wait for some time to be allotted the rooms, it was still ok and understandable.
Negatives - The resort had quite a few negatives, viz.,
(1) Quality of rooms - The resort is quite old and this showed in the quality of the rooms. The rooms looked pretty outdated and in 2 out of 3 rooms, the ACs were malfunctioning. The mandatory bath tub facility made things difficult for aged people as they had great difficulty getting into the tub to even have a shower. The bathroom perhaps needs to be redesigned to make it more user friendly.
(2) No 'A-la-carte' at Restaurant - Usually people prefer have a light meal for dinner and going by this logic it was surprising that the only restaurant in the resort served only buffet for dinner. It is a different matter that 'A-la-carte' service was available in room service, but this decision of 'buffett only' for dinner by the management is strange and surprising.
(3) Size & Depth of swimming pool - Majority of the population using swimming pools in resort either do not know swimming or are amateurs. Hence, the pools usually have a maximum depth of 5 ft. But the 6 ft. depth at MGM meant that a substantial part of the pool was unusable. That made the already small pool smaller. Revamping the pool is an expensive affairs, but perhaps the management may consider making the depth uniform upto 4 ft.
(4) Poor activity room - The size of the activity room was abysmally small. The activities were less and the person (lady) manning the activity room was disillusioned and uninterested in engaging kids. In resorts like Fisherman's Cove, we can leave the kid and go, but this was not possible. The activity room needs a lot of improvement and imagination.
Overall, we paid Rs.10,000/- per room and the facilities and services offered were not at par with the expectations for that rate. I am not saying the resort is bad, but in simple terms, we could not find value for the money we spent this time.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Response from MGMHotelsIndia, Front Office Manager at MGM Beach Resorts
Responded 3 Nov 2019
Dear Mr.Kaif, Greetings ! Thank you for taking out time to share the valuable feedback of your stay at our property. We are delighted to learn that you had a memorable stay with us. It is so inspiring for us to see that our guests have had a beautiful stay which in itself is the biggest recognition for all the efforts we put in. We have shared your wonderful feedback with the whole team. We have noted your concerns and will work towards doing our best possible to make your next stay a memorable one. The team looks forward to your return soon again to what we hope is now your home whenever you’re in the city. Kind regards, John S Kurien Front Office Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC