- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
13 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- Easy, flat, 5 minute walk to an impressive sight, especially on a clear day! Was definitely worth the wee wander in!Written 15 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Nice walk to the tunnels with a sign board explaining the history of why they were created. Tunnels are an adventure as well, especially the work that was put in to create.
Take a torch and change of footwear or gumboots.
Only pity is DOC haven’t done the repairs to the flume at the end.Written 24 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If it's wet, this is a great way to spend the afternoon. Did the self-guided tour & took our time to look at all the static displays and a few interactive ones. Not cheap entry but a proportion goes to DOC who do excellent work. Also learnt heaps about Glaciers, Rock Flour, Neves etc.Written 4 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Well worth the steeper path at the end. Great viewpoint but a shame (and shameful) that the glacier is retreating at such a fast pace. Informative panels at the view point show the retreat over the last 125 years.Written 20 March 2021
- Nice center with very helpful staff. Ample free parking in the area. Our helicopter tour left from here. They also have a number of other activities that you can book. Good size souvenir shop and cafe. We grabbed a bagel, Nutella cheesecake, juice and coffee for breakfast prior to our tour. At the conclusion of the tour, we ordered a ham and cheese toastie and chicken wrap that we ate for lunch on the way back to Greymouth. Food was good but cheesecake was exceptional.Written 19 April 2020
- Well-stocked with maps & brochures to plan your next adventure. Really helpful staff to provide advice on what to do in the area.Written 13 November 2021
- A short walk (20 mins) to see a small river at the end of it, that you can do from town, we did during the day so didn’t see any glow worms.Written 6 October 2020
- This trip was awesome, good group and Kylan was a brilliant guide. Super friendly and good to chat to, led the group well and really knew his stuff about the lake and the general area! Would definitely recommend 👍Written 18 May 2022
- Our experience with this company was beyond what we could of asked for, We paid for a flight and were kindly upgraded to a bigger tour. The staff were friendly and informative. The pilot was so nice, very informative and went out of his way to make us all feel like we were getting the best experience!Written 25 July 2021
- After our booked flight (with another company) cancelled due to lack of numbers, we were lucky enough to book a flight with Glacier Helicopters last minute. What an amazing experience! We couldn't have had better weather, cold but sunny. The glacier is beautiful, and landing on it is an experience not to be missed. The land crew were great, and our pilot Andy was brilliant - knowledgeable, experienced, with a great sense of humor. We did a lot of different activities on this South Island holiday, but the heli flight and glacier landing were definately the highlight!Written 6 July 2021
- We arrived late afternoon and went on the early evening cruise. The lake was like glass and it was really still and quiet. During the walk it got a bit misty and that really added to the surreal experience. Jake was an excellent guide. Highly recommended.Written 24 February 2020
- We flew on Pilots Choice We enjoyed the best ever flight with a very friendly pilot, Gus, Superb and extremely reasonable price.Written 17 April 2022
- We thought this was a great movie. It could have done with a bit more narration but was otherwise excellent. So good in fact that we decided not to do the helicopter ride we were planning. Great result that saved us about $700.Written 6 March 2020