Nature & Wildlife Areas • Hiking Trails
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- I came prepared, and it was fantastic. Make sure to bring a bag with a pair of thongs or something that can protect your feet and get wet. Also, something to dry your feet at the end of the walk, and maybe some socks. The water is up to ankle height at best, but it's still quite cold in October. You will probably have a bit of numbness in your feet after your trip. Not many glow worms at all throughout the cave, but it was a good experience. Highly recommended.Written 19 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Landslips have taken out the end of this track (and a section in the middle) so it’s now a one way hike of about 90 minutes duration to the gorge.
Much of it is dull, as a long slog up a 4WD access track, parts of which are quite steep. It’s only after you pass the water tanks (and the disconcerting signs warning of explosives) that you reach the spectacular lookout over the river valley below and then plunge into the rainforest.
From here on, it’s lovely – streams, a waterfall, bridge, ferns and moss until you final reach the end of the track at the suspension bridge over the Gorge and then turn back and do it all again.
A nice enough addition to the walks and scenery around the glaciers.
You can combine this with Tartare Tunnels, which diverts off part way up the 4WD track.Written 26 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A great short walk on a good or bad day. There is a good car park just west of the Franz Josef bridge. The walk follows along the flood defences and then through the forest to the lookout near the summit. On a good day you will get a good view of the Franz Josef glacier. Round trip about 1 hour.Written 22 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- 40/45 minute walk not too taxing nice cool pathway plenty of shade but the Lake is not inspiring
However a pleasant walkWritten 27 March 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Franz Josef
- These places are best for scenic walking areas in Franz Josef:See more scenic walking areas in Franz Josef on Tripadvisor