- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- We planned to be in Franz Josef for a few days to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. And what better way to celebrate this special day, than by make a beautiful and spiritual piece of Jade jewellery for one another.
We were lucky, on the day we visited the gallery, we were the only 2 booked in for our 1hr Jade making experience.
It was so intimate, we got to talk to the host in so much detail, connecting on a spiritual level given I am an Indigenous Australian, and the host had cultural connections to the land on which she operated - along with Jade being such an important part of Moiri culture.
We had an amazing time. The jewelry we crafted for each other is very special. We wore our pieces we created for a few days, this is so our spirit is attached to the Jade. A few days later we gifted our Jade to each other. It's a very amazing experience, because you have the elders spirits embedded in the rock from the Moiri culture, along with our spirit now attached.
Potentially, given I'm Indigenous, I can sense certain things others may not, but we have been travelling around NZ in sub zero temperatures (in some parts), and yet the Jade I wear (that my wife created), always remains warm. To touch it, or hold it in my hand, it is always warm.
Absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.Written 27 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I had the opportunity to visit both the Franz Josef and then the Okarito home gallery today, both showing many identical prints but also some different works, plus a wide range of books. I recommend visiting both - and leaving yourself plenty of time to be awestruck by both the scenes he's photographed and his skills. A must do activity if you're in the area. Note that the Okarito home gallery is up many steep garden steps which will not be suitable access for everyone (and I've been advised that it's not always open).Written 6 February 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a beautifully laid out little gift shop outside of Franz Josef with all different types of crystals in both natural and tumbled forms, with great descriptions of the crystals and there uses. Amazing aroma of insence as soon as you walk in made it even more relaxing whilst looking for the perfect gift. There is a wide variety of other gifts available in the shop. Mel has an outstanding knowledge of the products she is selling which really helps when looking for something in particular.Written 29 October 2015This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is gift shop located within the Alpine Activity Centre along the main road in Franz Josef. It is just across from Snakebite Brewery and has a fair sized carpark next to the shop. Opening hours 8.30am to 9pm daily.
Inside you'll find an expected range of traditional and speciality souvenirs, gifts and other items. Connected to the shop is an tour booking service provider where you can arrange heli-hikes to the area glaciers or other tour activities in the area.Written 16 October 2018