Things to Do in Johnston, IA - Johnston Attractions
Things to Do in Johnston
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
7 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- We finally decided to visit the museum during Memorial Day activities. There are lots of specific pieces of equipment tied to each time period and era. Also some interactive exhibits. It's a nice little museum; a hidden gem. You just need to show your id to get into Camp Dodge.Written 5 March 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful lake with boating and beaches. There are pullouts on the road across the dam to stop and take pictures. Went to the Visitor Center, but sadly it was closed due to COVID. However, there is a scenic overlook that was still open. Lots of birds. There were hiking trails, but I had no bug spray so I did not venture into the woods.Written 1 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a good sized RV Park (70+/- sites) in proximity to the Saylorville Lake and all the recreation that is associated with it. The sites are mostly level with plenty of room between spots - most are gravel off asphalt access roads. We chose a cement pad by the spillway (50A) - it was quite a ways from the showers. This is a well kept Park and it seems to be mostly occupied by locals that come with friends and camp together. The Verizon cell service was good.
The only issue I have with the RV Park, is the dump station. I find it curious that there is only one for the whole park. It is poorly designed so when you park to dump the road slopes away from the facility so unless you jack up the passenger side wheels of your RV, the tanks won’t completely empty. I noticed folks in front of me doing just that (seems they have been there before).Written 30 August 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We hadn’t been to a movie for awhile and decided to go for date night since we had some AMC gift cards to use. We used the cards online to purchase our tickets - crazy handling fee of nearly $4 for what? Was added to the cost of the tickets which were over $11 each. Cost off the cards was $26 something for our two tickets. We got to the theater for the 7:30 showing and there were very few people anywhere. No one selling tickets at the ticket box when you walk in (a sign directs you to buy tickets at a machine or at the concession stand if you don’t have them). Impersonal! There were maybe two or three people working the concession stand area and the bar area, but most of the concession stand us do it yourself as well. We followed signs to the theater entrance and actually interacted with our first person here when she scanned our tickets off our phones and directed us to the theater. The theater was about 1/3 filled for the showing. After the movie ended at about 10:30 we left through the same hallways and doorways we had entered, the main entryway. On a Saturday evening you would imagine there might be late night shows and it was only 10:30. There were two people we ran across working, one was sweeping the floor and emptying trash and the other was mopping, the main entrance and exit way floors making them slick to walk on - with no signs, warnings or even verbal acknowledgement to be careful, the floor was wet. I used to enjoy going to the movies, but now it is so impersonal that staying home to watch Netflix, on demand or using red box costs less and is a much better experience. Just not impressed and this theater used to be the place to go.Written 28 July 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Johnston
- The top attractions to visit in Johnston are:
- Saylorville lake
- Iowa Gold Star Military Museum
- Bob Shetler Picnic Area
- Quarry Springs Outfitters - Johnston
Johnston Attractions Information
|Local Time||Thursday 4:56 pm|