Types of Attractions
What travellers are saying
- A70+ year-old jazz club with a great, funky atmosphere and top-notch talent. We saw Donald Harrison on a Sunday evening from the comfort of an old couch. It was a fantastic concert. My only small quibble -- extremely mediocre wine by the glass, so stick to beer, booze or something non-alcoholic. Otherwise highly recommended!Written 25 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Loved the opportunity to take our young teen to a jazz club for some real live music, while enjoying a good meal on a chilly autumn evening. Felt a little rushed having to eat a full meal during a single set, but the price was right and we really appreciated the venue.Written 5 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you're looking for live jazz music, this is the place to be. It's never crowded even when it's full, the acoustics are great they have wonderful cocktails and it's not expensive. We've been going often since they opened. We have never been disappointed.Written 27 May 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The tavern/club has superb historic ambient and at that particular night band and music were amazing. I need to admit, that only after I visited the place I found out how actually popular it is and that it's oldest jazz club in the USA.
Only downside is that part of staff was pretty arrogant.Written 23 February 2023
- What a cool place! Accessible down an alley; down some stairs; and into a small room - what else would you expect from a good jazz bar in Chicago? Well, actually, our concierge referred to it as a jazz bar (and maybe normally it is), but last night it was 10% jazz, the remainder Motown, a bit of CCR, a bit of disco, a bit of Doobies; all well performed by a great 8 piece band (Euphony), but all well done and great fun. Maybe 20 patrons at the most at any one time. Lots of dancing on the "dance floor" (actually the corridor connecting this club to the speakeasy next door…). Closed at 1 am. Would definitely return.Written 21 November 2014
- Dive - good music- just so Chicago bouncer extremely nice didn't charge me drinks were ok but go for the bands- arts & for the love of musicWritten 13 December 2014
- Romantic venue (in the design sense as much as it is romantic for a date). Gorgeous decor and lively jazz on a cobblestone street. Highly recommend if you like jazz and would like to be transported to Paris.Written 22 April 2023
- Visiting jazz groups from around the country and the best locally. The site is just a plain old hall where you will find 70 to 100 in attendance getting the best of Chicago tradition. If you visit Chicago do you self a favor...go. Just a short taxi ride from the center of the theater districtWritten 18 November 2018
- Very cool, warm, dark atmosphere, similar to a strip club. The "speakeasy" they brag of in their advertisement is only seen at the front door, which looks like a secret door. Nothing else alludes to a speakeasy. Drinks are expensive $$, but well made. The bartenders were quick, cute, and attentive. The band played R&B and the music was great. Singers can really wail. Everyone was dressed to impress,and I regret I did not pack anything more impressive :) There is no dress code, so that was good. The only things I did not like was:
There was a bathroom attendant (which is a great thing to have), who was like a director; snapping at women, not friendly or nice. I went to use a spritz of perfume and she yelled at me that I have to prepay on an app for it, when I was planning on tipping for it anyway.
The only other thing I did not like was that the people in attendance were just rude. Maybe it is the town, but people were shoving their way through the crowd, not excusing themselves. And then they took up the whole space in front of the stage and did not dance, or clap when the song was done. Perhaps they are too afraid? It made it awkward for my friend and I, who LOVE to dance. Dancing is exclusive to each person, an expression of how music moves you. There is not WRONG way to do it, and yet we were 2 of maybe 10 who were dancing, out of the 150 people there. After 2 hours, more people loosened up to start swaying and head bobbing after copious amounts of alcohol.
Either way, we had a blast. We will be back someday with a group of likeminded, music loving, dancing hippies lol ❤️Written 11 September 2022
- The Kinetic Playground is a late night venue for all types of musicial performers. Typically the music is upbeat ranging from techno to jambands. The venue has a hippy themed moral on the windows. The inside is not that big with two bars on opposite ends of the venue and one stage in the middle. However, despite the size it is a great place to check out. There is seating available for those that don't want to stand and dance all night. Drinks are moderately priced, about $4 for a mixed well drink. The bathrooms are conveniently located downstairs, so the lines are out of the way. Pretty awesome place, nice bartenders, great atmosphere. Located right next to the Red Line Lawrence stop makes this place even more accessible.Written 11 June 2007
- I RSVP for a party that was suppose to be free before 11:30, we arrived at 11:15 and was charged anyways. Then the bathroom didn't have any tissue you gotta bring napkins from the bar. And the drinks are way too expensive we spent well over $800 in our small group on 4 bottles and a couple of drinks. Then at the end the DJ said open bar and I was still charged $11 for my last drink. Such a waste of money and time.Written 10 August 2016
- This review is not based on the song Bang-Bang by Jessie J. This night club is known for hip-hop music and once in a while R&B music. We went here in September 2014. The club is located in the River West neighborhood of Chicago (just east of the upscale River North neighborhood). The difference is that River West is not upscale. River West is a residential and lively area where there are restaurants and other night life. If you want to sit down here you have to purchase EXPENSIVE bottles of alcohol. Really not worth the cost. Skip this option! However, there was a shooting here in November 2014 and one man was shot just outside the club. The people who live in this neighborhood want the Funky Buddha Lounge shut down for good. I would not recommend this restaurant despite the long lines. There are so many other fun, safe clubs in Chicago. Bang-bang all over you. No thanks. Just read the other reviews at Yelp.Written 7 February 2015
Frequently Asked Questions about Chicago
- These are the best places for couples seeking jazz clubs & bars in Chicago:See more jazz clubs & bars for couples in Chicago on Tripadvisor
- These are the most romantic places for jazz clubs & bars in Chicago:See more romantic jazz clubs & bars in Chicago on Tripadvisor