What travellers are saying
- We did the crystal cave tour with Miguel at Belize Caving expeditions and he was the most incredible guide we could have wished for!
Extremely patient, very informative, funny and most of all, he gave us confidence and we completely trusted his guidance!
We’ve done the ATM cave and this one afterwards and this is a completely different type of challenge. It’s much harder.
Physically it’s very challenging! And it’s also a mental challenge for many reasons.
Including being In complete Darkness except for your head lamp for many hours, steep drops, slippy floor, tight spaces, creepy crawlers and it’s very strenuous!
First you have a 45-50 minute hike to the cave entrance. Then you start the descent into the cave.
Everything inside is as slippy as an ice rink from the clay, you spend a lot of time on your bum! There’s a lot of climbing on very uneven surfaces with just your headlamp for light. Lots of lowering yourself down off ledges using your upper body strength and pulling or pushing yourself up. Climbing from Boulder to Boulder and there are some drops as well (Miguel kept us informed of dangers along the way)
A fair few very small spaces which mean you’re crawling on your hands and knees, contorting your body into weird positions to get through cracks and lifting your own body weight a lot!
We both hike a lot but this used a ton of muscles we hadn’t used for a long time / ever! We were both very stiff and sore the next day!
However, despite the physical challenge (and mental if you’re claustrophobic or just tired!) it’s beautiful down there!
Getting to wonderland which is one of the biggest and most beautiful caves was so worth the extra journey! Sparkling rocks and formations we didn’t know existed!
We then went on to the upper chamber in just our socks and again - absolutely stunning!
We were down there in the caves for 5 hours in total almost, but you can do the normal loop which is more like 2 hours in and out. If you need the toilet you have to use a bottle and it’s a good idea to take a few snacks if you want to try the lounge route like we did.
This is only my second cave in my life and i did the ATM and this one a day apart. And I really enjoyed it but it was definitely a challenge and took a lot of body strength, we were covered in clay mud when we came out, pouring with sweat and in desperate need of a shower!
We headed to the blue hole pool for a wash off in our clothes and then sat and had lunch!
This is definitely not for everyone, it’s very very physical.
ATM felt like a 2-3 out of ten difficulty wise and this was more like an 8-9!
It was totally worth it and we both felt so proud we did it but it was all thanks to Miguel at Belize caving expeditions for looking after us every steps of the way, he’s an incredible guide! Thank you Miguel for an unforgettable day!
We will be creating a YouTube video of the experience in the next four weeks or so on our channel which is the same name as this account (inwanderment) if anyone wants to see it before trying the tour. Highly recommend Belize Caving Expeditions!Written 19 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- 👏Thanks for an excellent birthday. Our tour guide was Jorge.💥 He was very detailed and made tubing so fun and relaxing 💯Written 15 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A beautiful large cave, with a short walk to the entrance. Bring your flash light or head torch.
If you have more time, the the full guided tour is also worth doing.Written 9 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We stopped off while driving the butterfly road. There's a park employee there collecting a small fee to visit and there's a gate to close the parking lot after hours. There's changing rooms and restrooms there.
The pool area is small and they've built a cement entry and viewing area. There's really not much there, but it's a great spot to stop off and take a quick swim to cool down.Written 4 January 2023
- Bought a beautiful Orchid for my wife from this venue. They gave me a discount to which i have not collected back as yet... :-) I will though...Written 26 April 2019
- Its very much self guided - and while you hear some hiway noise from time to time it is a good romp into the jungle - flora, fauna - lots of signs for interpretation - watch out if it has rained - it will be muddy and slippy.... right beside belize river which you get a number of views of - take your bug spray (they have some at the front counter if you need it - very thoughtful of the warden). Its cheap and a good hour+ exploration. btw I heard rustling and thought i was being stalked - finally looked up and indeed it was curious george following me along from above - apparently there are a few troops of monkeys that habituate the place.....Written 5 September 2022
- Had an AMAZING experience! Very professional service. Provided us with so much useful information and a memorable day!
Definitely plan to use them on our next trip to Belize!!Written 9 December 2022
- I went to Laguna Aguacate as part of my small-group birding tour. We had first spent the early morning on private rice farms nearby. In our lengthy search for various raptors in the fields, we arrived at Laguna Aguacate at 10:00, a bit too late for ideal birding. Still, it is a pretty lake and we did see a few new species, in particular the Blue Ground Dove. Although I had seen Rufous-tailed Jacamars other areas of Belize, there were lots of them on the trail around this lake. Lovely! Unfortunately, we missed a couple of our target species; no Boat-billed Heron nor White-whiskered Puffbird.Written 15 February 2020
- We contracted with Maya Adventure Tours to take us on a six hour adventure in a stream that meandered through the jungle and in and our of a cave system - very cool.Written 30 May 2017
- If you want a relaxing, restorative and amazing massage find your way to Garden Oasis. I love Allie’s hands. She is amazing. I get regular massages here and I’m hooked and will keep coming back. You won’t regret it.Written 22 April 2023
- Lovely shop with so many items to choose from. The grounds and building are wonderful. There is also a nice coffee shop. The bathroom was fun...I had a toucan handle in my stall.Written 18 April 2023
- We had a great riding experience with mounts and selected trail appropriate for our skill levels. Be honest about your weight, your ability, your desires, and they will choose appropriate mounts and ride difficulty.Written 16 January 2022
- We were looking for a tour to take us from Belize City to the Tikal Mayan ruins. I'm glad we found Gershom. He was on-time, professional and friendly. He picked us up at our lodging and drove us to the Guatemalan border, and then turned us over to the excellent guide, Marco, for the rest of the drive and a guided tour through Tikal. The tour included a delicious lunch and the transportation right back to our doorstep. Highly recommend!Written 4 July 2022
- Visited and was very impressed with up to date equipment. A variety of trainers to provide individual fitness plans. Open seven days and reasonable membership fee. No AC, but cool breeze throughout the building.Written 23 August 2019
- Had the pleasure of being driven by Darah Transfers from the airport to San Ignacio. Excellent car, the friendliest driver which explained al the things about Belize i wanted to know. One to be recommended!Written 11 May 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Belmopan
- The best day trips from Belmopan according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Belize Cave Tubing
- Crystal Cave and Blue Hole National Park Day Trip from San Ignacio
- Xunantunich Maya Ruins & Cave Tubing - St. Herman's Cave
- Private Zipline Cavetubing and Altun Ha
- Xunantunich and Cave -Kayaking or Cave tubing
Belmopan Attractions Information
|Saturday 5:00 am|