Marinas • Points of Interest & Landmarks
Popular things to do
- Day Trips
- Wine Tastings
- Churches & Cathedrals
- 4WD Tours
- Cultural Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Dining Experiences
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Historical Tours
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Likely to Sell Out
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Ports of Call Tours
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Special Offers
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Museum Tickets & Passes
Top Attractions in Chania Town
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Amazing place full of life with fantastic scenery and excellent bars, shops and restaurants.
Lovely sea breezes make this area a pleasure to spend time in.Written 22 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This might be the best place you will visit in Chania. For a football fan it was like being in Disneyland with an excellent and huge variety of different types of football memorabilia. Naturally there is a focus on Greece's win at the European Championships in 2004, but the friendly, affable manager Nikos has gone to the trouble of making sure there is something for all nationalities. I spent over an hour here and kept finding little things I hadn't spotted before. Given it is free to get in, an absolute must.Written 30 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a pleasant surprise to be rained upon in the middle of summer ! This is one of the effects this 9d cinema has.The children next to us were screaming when they saw a rat jumping at them in 3d..People of all ages are having fun..The service is very friendly. Do visit it if you have the time.Written 15 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful place for a stroll particularly early in the morning or late evening.
On your way you will see the horse and carriages. Please don't use them. If I can just prevent one person from using them. The heat is stifling. It is 35 degrees today yet they are out every day, no shade or water. It is so upsetting.
Shame on anyone who uses these. You contributed to animal cruelty. It is disgusting. Walk your lazy, fat assess around instead of using these beautiful animals.Written 26 July 2022
- We went expecting it would only take about 45 minutes to go round but ended up spending 2.5 hours there. We found it really interesting and informative especially the WW2 material. I'd recommend a visit if you're by the harbour and follow it with lunch or dinner at one of the many tavernas in the area.Written 30 September 2022
- Wide sandy beach, with some natural shade. Water is clear, parking is free and have enough sunbeds if you like.Written 17 September 2022
- Walked here from the Old Town for a lazy last day. Sunbeds and umbrellas available for a reasonable price and food service offered if required. Nice sandy beach and good swimming.Written 22 September 2022
- Nice views over Chania and surrounding hills from here.
This is a the resting place of Eleftherios Venizelos and of his son Sophoklis.
The statue of Spyros Kagiales in the same park refers to a legendary bravery in 1897 when Venizelos and a group of rebels had raised a Greek flag at that spot after being attacked by the Ottomans.Written 19 March 2022
- This Venetian fortress is part of the history of Chania. There are also great views of the harbor. Our time allowed only a brief photo stop but I would have liked more time to explore.Written 18 December 2021
- We went down the Gorge just across the Bakery in Topolia. We passed the church and Cemetery on our way down. We went all the way down and a little up on the other side of the valley until we came to an olive plantation. We turned around an walked the same way back. It took us one hour and twenty minutes to walk down and up. It was a beautiful walk. REMEMBER water and a sun hat.Written 28 July 2022
- Beutifully maintained house with fascinating items, all excellently presented with good signage/descriptions/explanations. A must visit for anyone interested in 20th century Greek politics. This was a man who changed Greece and helped change the world. Such a warm reception from the well informed and hospitable staff!Written 26 October 2021
- This beach has two bars one at each end . There are lifeguards, changing facilities. The toilets are old fashioned, the key is kept at the bar. This too is a child friendly beach.Written 24 July 2022
- Nice old orthodox church. Free entrance. Very small, but nice quiet place to sit if you want to escape from the hustle and bustle of the streets outside. Situated in the Old Town, close to the harbour.Written 22 June 2022
- We arrived at 9:30 am. Paid €2.50 per person to a very kind ticket collector. He told us we can now visit the monastery. This hadn’t been possible back in 2016 when we hiked the trail down to the sea. A lovely path leads to the monastery where no photos inside are allowed and coverings are provided. Shorts are considered offensive. Bring a shawl or wrap. It’s a smaller version of Agia Triada and just as lovely. A monk opened a door and a bunch of cats followed him out - breakfast time. He was chuckling. We had a wander and another monk motioned us to the church and we entered. Smaller but designed the same as Agia Triada and totally covered with detailed paintings. Upon exiting the church the same monk brought a plate of cakes to us and we happily took a piece each. We had a lengthy conversation in English with him regarding the monastery. And to to our great surprise - inside the monastery were two very clean toilets to use! Amazing. Lots of renovations going on there. Please be aware of the opening hours of the monastery - 9 am to noon and 5 pm to 7 pm but trail is opened during the other hours. The hike isn’t difficult generally. Bring water. Try to go early in the day. Please do not leave any rubbish. A very special place no matter your belief system.Written 13 September 2022
- Attractive church in the centre of Chania Old Town which has had a long and varied history and several uses. A booklet is available for only €2.
Traditional Cretan music dancing is performed some evenings on the plaza outside.Written 24 September 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Chania Town
- The best day trips from Chania Town according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Samaria Gorge Hiking from Chania
- Private Boat Trip Kissamos Balos (price per group - up to 6 people)
- Elafonisi Full-Day Tour from Chania
- Gramvousa and Balos Full Day Tour from Chania
- Balos Lagoon & Falassarna Beach - Semi Private Jeep Tour with Lunch