- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
5 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- I visited the gallery twice during my 4 days in town. Local artisan Co-operatives are my favourite places to shop for myself and for gifts. Ice House Gallery has such a varied selection of unique offerings and everything is displayed perfectly for their guests.Written 4 September 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Seems as though the vast majority of chains that are in town are located here. Walmart (no change rooms!), RBC, TD, The Source, Dollarama are all here. I was looking forward to a nostalgic trip to Field’s but Anytime Fitness has apparently taken its place.
The mall could definitely use a refresh but I appreciated one of the storefronts appears to be available for those who want to do things like mini markets and pop up shops. I’m not sure how often it’s utilized but it seems like a great way to support locals.Written 12 August 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Best place ever staff is nice and they always have new and interesting stuff plus the store is nice and warmWritten 28 June 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Friendly warm place to check out some artists wares. Water color paintings , jewelry, first nations art, knitting,clothing and used treasures. Coffee is always on!Written 9 October 2015
- You know, someone must’ve been pretty bored to have had The Bargain! Shop listed on this site. It’s not exactly what I’d call a tourist attraction, but then COVID-19 has us doing some pretty strange things. But all is not lost because The Bargain! Shop (also stylized as “tb!s”) actually has a significant amount of history behind it, both globally and locally.
On the international stage, The Bargain! Shop actually has its roots in FW Woolworth’s department store. Established in 1879, Woolworth’s was considered one of the pioneers of the “five-and-dime store,” and helped to create the retail model giants like Wal-Mart and Sears follow today. At the height of its popularity in the 1970s, Woolworth’s was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest department store chain in the world (!). Sadly, due to increased competition in the marketplace, Woolworth’s ceased operations in 1997, but not before converting many of its Canadian stores to The Bargain! Shop.
Woolworth’s existed in Prince Rupert for over 40 years before being converted into the modern day Bargain! Shop in 1994. While I don’t have much significant memory of the Woolworth’s department store in this city, there is one instance that does stick out quite readily for me: I remember patronizing Woolworth’s with my grandparents in 1989. We were shopping, presumably, for various gifts. At the time, Woolworth’s had a small “live pets” section, which sold fish and birds. We ended up getting a blue-breasted budgie bird – complete with cage and birdie starter kit – and brought it home. He was a happy little critter and lived a fairly long life of 18 years, expiring well after Woolworth’s went the way of the dodo. Since this store was converted to tb!s, I’ve only come here very sparingly because, well, there isn’t a whole lot that really grabs my attention.
As The Bargain! Shop, this store functions as general “discount variety store;” that is to say, you can come here and buy any number of home sundries, including: Basic grocery items, shoes, beddings, basic grocery, clothing, housewares and junky “As Seen on TV” products. In short, you can get practically anything here. The draw for most, I think, besides the discounted pricing, is the fact that you can often find established brand-name products here at significant discounts. Think Planters. Think Luncheon Meat. Think Country Time. Think Bench. It’s all here! The canned goods selection is especially robust ;)
But don’t take my word for it. Come here and experience the awesomeness for yourself!Written 17 August 2020