View all photos (243)
Likely To Sell Out
Select Date and Travellers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Trying to trek along the frozen Johnston Canyon without a guide could be tough in frigid temperatures with icy walkways. Opt to take this guided tour from Banff, and see wildlife, waterfalls, and, of course, a lot of ice. Plus, this tour provides round-trip transport, ice cleats, a hiking pole, a snack, and a hot cup of cocoa to make things super easy on you.
- A guide knows the Johnston Canyon Icewalk® and helps keep you safe
- All equipment—ice cleats and a hiking pole—is provided for convenience
- A snack and hot chocolate keeps you warm and energized
- Round-trip transport is included with this Johnston Canyon Icewalk® tour
What to Expect
After being picked up from your Banff accommodation, your guide takes you to Johnson's Canyon for the icewalk and gets you suited up with ice cleats and a hiking pole. During your hike, walk about 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometers) and the elevation gain is 443 feet (135 meters). Learn about the history and geology of the area, as you keep a lookout for wildlife, such as wolves, moose, elk, and coyotes. See the upper and lower waterfalls trapped in ice. Afterward, enjoy a snack and a cup of hot chocolate to warm up before getting dropped off back at the original pickup place in Banff.
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Optional gratuities
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travellers
If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
About the operator
By: Discover Banff Tours
Kicking Horse Powder Express
What a bargain. For less than the cost of a lift ticket, you get round trip transportation and a lift ticket to…
Beautiful Banff morning!
The tour was fantastic from the moment Jeff picked us up right at our hotel until he dropped us off again. He was…
Banff winter tour
We have a blast on our morning tour. Seeing some wild life was a bonus. We had the opportunity to see some mule…
Grotto Canyon Icewalk
We did this tour with Gina as our tour guide. She kept the tour entertaining and she was very knowledgeable about…
Awesome hike! Great guide :)
I (20 yrs old) did the Ice Walk with my mom (who's 58) and we LOVED it. Such a great hike and so beautiful. Our…
I Was Dog-Walked Through Johnston Canyon
Here is my review of Discover Banff Tours that I wrote on another site but I'm sharing it here: Discover Banff…
This was the last leg of my little solo ski trip in Banff and I'm really glad I went. The frozen canyon and…
Ice walk fun
Kids and I had a fabulous trip to frozen waterfalls. Such a great day and Gina was a fabulous guide. So friendly…
We had a great day with our guide Matt. Small group sizes allow everyone to get to know each other a bit better.…
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom41
Fabulous afternoon snow shoe walking
We had a fun afternoon snow shoe walking to Paint pots. From snow Angels, toboganing, learning about the local…
- Johnston Canyon
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071